ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do people use the sticker sprays for?

What do people use the sticker sprays for?

I'm sort of curious what people really use sticker sprays for. I'm not really interested in "stickers" per se- i.e. individuated items like leaves or flowers or pearls, etc.- because they always seem to come out looking "pasted" on, like a collage, whereas I'm looking for things that look painted. And despite my best efforts, I've never really been able to use the Sticker Spray to use textured brush strokes from PS brushes. The spray variations chart, despite reading a few tutorials, is insanely confusing to me.

Besides that, are people using them for textural effects? PS rush strokes? Just trying to think about how I could better use this tool, because it sort of seems lost to me right now. My daughter loves it, but to actually help with portraits or realistic looking nature-paintings, I've never been able to get it to do much.

Thought just seeing different applications of the tool might better help me to understand it's uses, and fire me up about it more.

Smile

I like to use sticker spray mainly for boarders. I think they are really neat.
    Sweetpea81
    Last edited by sweetpea81; 10-02-2011 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    I'm sort of curious what people really use sticker sprays for. I'm not really interested in "stickers" per se- i.e. individuated items like leaves or flowers or pearls, etc.- because they always seem to come out looking "pasted" on, like a collage, whereas I'm looking for things that look painted. And despite my best efforts, I've never really been able to use the Sticker Spray to use textured brush strokes from PS brushes. The spray variations chart, despite reading a few tutorials, is insanely confusing to me.

Besides that, are people using them for textural effects? PS rush strokes? Just trying to think about how I could better use this tool, because it sort of seems lost to me right now. My daughter loves it, but to actually help with portraits or realistic looking nature-paintings, I've never been able to get it to do much.

Thought just seeing different applications of the tool might better help me to understand it's uses, and fire me up about it more.

I try not anticipate how a tool is supposed to work. Sure, there are things we should expect from them, but ultimately we're left with only one option, and that's to use the tool for what it can do. For a tool like the Sticker Spray, I mainly use it for adding textures (airbrush spatter, grains, etc), but I also like to experiment with creating full images with stickers, as well. Here's a handful of images that I used Sticker Sprays in:

Spray used for added texture and some color blends:

Spray used to make the "Spider Sense" effect, by using my Speed Line sticker spray to mask off an area of the canvas, and then filling it in:

Here, the body of the dragon and the gems it protects were created with sticker sprays:

Here, I took some time to create a watercolor bleed effect using the Watercolor tool, then made it into a Sticker, which I then used in the Sticker Spray tool to help define various areas on this watercolor image (mainly in the hair and background):

Various Sticker Sprays were used to create the leaves of the trees in this image:

This entire image was created with Stickers:

Here, the leaves, the grass, the moss on the stone, along with texture of the paper, were done with sticker sprays:

The barbwire and spatter is sticker sprays in this one:

And this abstract image is a number of feathers I scanned into my computer, which I placed on a sticker sheet, and used in the Sticker Spray:

I've also created some mazes with them:

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea81 View Post
    (Someonesane if you read this post I need you, you know where to find me.)
    I'll be on in a few minutes.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I personally, have been making stickers out of some of my older paintings and combining them to come up with new works.

Someonesane;

Utterly astounding! Do you make house calls? lol! Wow. I am inspired to try this in a new way

Quote Originally Posted by ArtfulAmanda View Post
    Someonesane;

Utterly astounding! Do you make house calls? lol! Wow. I am inspired to try this in a new way

Thanks . Though, I'm afraid I don't do house calls, lol. I do have some tutorials, however. So if you need help creating a sticker, you might find This Thread helpful. I also have a few videos, covering a variety of ArtRage things, at my Youtube Channel.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I use sticker sprays to make fur, feathers and scales on my creatures.

I use sticker spray for texture in portraits and to make abstract paintings quickly and easily. I also use sticker spray for watercolor effects like splatters.

hy Steve,

I'm using sticker spray in almost all of my (abstract) paintings I just love the versatility of this tool, and the many options to tweak it to your needs per spray variation settings

I use many of the sticker spray presets offered by fellow Ragers here in the Art Supplies forum (a BIG THANK YOU to everyone who is sharing their custom made presets! ), and I also create my own sticker spray presets from stickers made from scratch - which is a lot of work but also a lot of fun .

re: Photoshop brushes turned into stickers/sticker spray presets ... I've imported lots of PS brushes into ArtRage to use them as a custom sticker spray preset, but it's very time consuming to get the settings right. the results are satisfying though

to see some examples of my personal use of sticker spray presets you may check my gallery, I've tagged most of my paintings with keywords (e.g oil, pencil, or ..well ..stickerspray ), so if you click on one of my paintings where I was using a sticker spray (for example this one), just click on the keyword ("stickerspray") and it will list all paintings in the gallery tagged with "stickerspray" (everyone's paintings, not just mine ). sadly, not everyone is tagging their paintings in the gallery with keywords describing the tools used ....

[click here to see an example of one of my paintings using sticker spray, tagged with keyword "stickerspray"]
    Name:  110821_space_pod_v4_framed_webb spray.jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  307.0 KB

I went nuts for sticker sprays when I saw flyashy's "Interactive Smoke Tendrils". I couldn't get the spray to work, but I could see the sticker and worked on reproducing it with dots on an arc and trying various settings. I made a bazillion ribbon sprays. Then I saw the LA sticker spray! Too cool. Same thing-- I couldn't get it to load properly, but after having made so many sprays I was able to produce similar results.

I don't do representational art, so almost any sticker spray I create will eventually be useful for me. I've made a few sticker sprays that I then use to cover a large canvas (usually employing some copy/paste). I adjust the contrast and use the result as a texture/grain.

Some stickers may seem flat, but can be used to create textures as per above. Sometime a gloop pseudo water blob splashed onto a dramatic texture makes a shape worth stickering/spraying.

I can't remember how to post a pic of anything I've done, but the "recipe" is more important anyway-- look through the tutorials until you get the basic idea, and keep playing with sticker sprays until you find your unique way of creating/employing them.

Thanks for posting the question! It gave me an opportunity to look at the answers of more experienced Ragers.