ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ArtRageUS Magazine Poll

Arrow ArtRageUS Magazine Poll

Hi all you Ragers

As you know I (as founder/editor) have published our Free monthly forum magazine since Feb 2010 and have produced 21 Issues all by volunteers from the ArtRage forums.

It has been a difficult task until some of the Ragers donated enough $$ for me to buy Adobe Acrobat X Pro which has been providing us with a much more professional magazine....a big thank you to all of you whom donated to the cause. . it has indeed made our magazine a higher quality and made my task much easier as editor.

The number of Volunteers has declined this year leaving almost all the tasks basically to me... I am not complaining at all. This is our forum magazine and we should make it what it is by submissions and involvement by volunteering. However, with little of either the magazine will dwindle to a small Issue and perhaps even only being published quarterly during the year. It is up to you.

I have a few questions for you since we have very few monthly replies.... for your feedback...:

Do you find our ArtRageUS Magazine:

1. Useful
    2. Informative
    3. Helpful with needed ArtRage information
    4. Featured Artist/s stories/ interesting
    5. Our Tutorials/Art Supplies Books an beneficial aid
    6. The Artist Portal/iPad Artist Portal interesting
    7. Monthly publications useful (more than quarterly?)
    8. Do you Prefer: 1. A FREE magazine ( donations accepted)
    2. A monthly paid subscription> professionally done.
    9. What would you like to see in the magazine?
    10. Would you have a problem seeing some paid advertising in the mag?

These questions are important and your feedback is appreciated. I know that our free time is something we all have little of these days but I need your opinions, support and submissions to make this all work nicely.

Again I would like to express my thanks for the donations to buy Acrobat X Pro....to those Ragers whom really appreciate all the hard, time consuming work put into the magazine. It really is not an easy task folks for 1 person to organize and put it all together and keep the website updated.
    I do it for YOU, my fellow Rager artists friends so you can be published and see your art in a magazine as well as have what you need at hand all for Free.

Bobbyray http://www.artrageus.net

ArtRageUS Magazine is a "FREE" Forum Magazine...
    by RagerS for RagerS...

If you can not volunteer/contribute material: Please make a donation.

...Thank you
    and Keep that art coming..

Last edited by Bobbyray; 10-05-2011 at 11:58 AM.

How do you want these replies?

E-mail or replies in this thread?

Cheers

Here In the thread please

1. Useful
    - Yes very useful. Love the tips & tutorials as well as the interviews of fellow ArtRagers...

2. Informative
    - Yes, Most definetly...

- Yes

- Yes

- Yes

-Yes

- Yes but if monthly is too taxing on staff and resources than quartlery would be fine. But I do look forward to this pdf monthly...

8. Do you Prefer:
    I prefer free but a professionaly done commercial version I certainly would consider, contingent on cost of course...

- Tutorials, tips, techniques, walk throughs. Web links to ArtRage supplies (stencils, stickers, tool presets), links to general art sites...

- No, not at all... as long as it is computer or art related... and no Viagar ads LOL

1. Useful
    Very Useful.

2. Informative
    Very Informative, I keep going back through the tutorials to see if there is something I can use in any of my current work.

Definitely helpful.

Love this section.

The best.

6. The Artist Portal/iPad Artist Portal interesting.
    Yes, A great section to show what the Ipad can achieve with limited tools.

I like getting the Magazine monthly but if it's to difficult to get everything in place in time then I would be happy quarterly.

8. Do you Prefer: 1. A FREE magazine ( donations accepted)
    I personally I like the free version.

2. A monthly paid subscription> professionally done.
    Not sure about this one.

The magazine at present holds everything that I could wish for, Interviews with fellow ragers, turtorials, tips, the artist portals and all the links.

To keep the magazine free I think this could be the way to go.
    Christine.(Paint what you see, not what you know to be there)

Artrage Magazines https://app.box.com/s/6ybcbpnu1rw3tqee40hge5eb7eag6on6

http://saphire1948.deviantart.com/gallery/

1. Useful
    Very . Love the tips & tutorials

2. Informative
    Very

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Monthly is great but quarterly would be fine if necessary.

8. Do you Prefer
    free but I would be happy with whatever is needed.

- Tutorials, tips, techniques, web links to ArtRage supplies like stencils, stickers, tool presets

- No, nor would I mind paying a small fee if you think that would be preferable

I like the mag, but I'd like to offer helpful suggestions for how it might be improved. I haven't been reading the mag for very long, so take this with a grain of salt, but I'd like to see--

More focus on tutorials/techniques/process-

I like it, but I wish there was a great focus on tutorials and techniques. The gallery is nice, and sometimes sparks ideas, but seems to over-ride other features at times. It would be nice if there was some way to link the gallery to info here at the forums- that way I could follow up on artists I really liked, and it might lead to more than just browsing.

Re: interviews-
    I like the interviews, but I sometimes wonder if it'd be better to focus more specifically on Artrage usage in them. I'm most interested in figuring out how I can make this program work. It's very cool to hear about a person and their life experiences, for sure, but I also want some sort of hard focus on tools and how that person uses them.

There's a human interest element that I like, but I'm just looking for ways to help the mag improve and be more functional. Human interest pulls you in and makes you care- that's good. But I'd then like to see more info on their artwork specifically and how they produce it. Their process, etc. That would be very cool to me. I also liked how the last interview focused a little on the professional side of being an illustrator- how he got work, etc. I'd like to hear more of this sort of stuff.

Themed issues?
    Perhaps themed issues might lead to a more helpful focus too? Like an oil issue, a pencil issue, a watercolor issue, a stickers issue, etc. A portraits issue. A landscape issue. A fantasy issue. A "copy the masters" issue. etc.

Integration with the forums-
    It would be interesting to have a thread started in the General forum when each issue came out, highlighting the issue and providing an opportunity for people to ask questions of the highlighted author and those in the gallery. Discussion and conversation of the magazine itself, and what it offers each issue, is something that I think is missing right now. This community is awesome, and could really help make the mag even better if we were able to create more interaction with the work you're putting together.

Mostly, I'd like to see it focus more on how the highlighted author goes about his digital art process, how he uses Artrage, the kinds of tricks he uses, and he gets the results that we're getting to peruse. That would make the magazine not only interesting to read on human-level, but more functional and useful to me.

Thanks so much for asking for input! That's often not an easy thing to do. I think it's amazing that you are giving your time like this.

Re: $- I'd be happy to pay a small fee- 5$ a month on an automatic paypal subscription? Do they even do that? I think paying for something can let you know it has value and worth, and if it contributes to the quality of the product, then i think that's $ well spent.

Re: frequency- Monthly is nice, but I think it must be a lot of work. I think if it made the issue better, and you could go more in depth with what you were offering re: techniques, tutorials, processes, etc. that I'd be perfectly happy to have it come out quarterly.

Thumbs up

1. Useful
    - Yes very useful. Love the tips & tutorials.

2. Informative
    - Yes, Verry.

- Yes.

- Yes.

- Yes.

-yes.

- Yes but if monthly is too much quarterly would be fine.Or bi monthly

8. Do you Prefer:
    - Free ( donations accepted).

- Tutorials, tips, techniques.

- No, not at all.Long as the fit in.

Hey Bobby Ray,

My general feeling is that the mag is definitely headed in the right direction and it's a matter of fine tuning things as you go according to ongoing feedback. Readership numbers will tend to revolve around a steady but growing (we hope) core who always take the time to read it, or their favourite parts of it.

Perhaps you might introduce a regular poll where that core (and occasional readers too of course) can vote about which of several proposed subjects they'd like to see appear, and perhaps even with some options as to how on occasion? Beginner or intermediate/advanced tutorials? What tool to focus on? What subject etc ....... ? The choices and combinations should give plenty of scope.

Knowing how much work and how many hours it takes to compile something like this, you have my full admiration for keeping on with diminishing numbers on your team. It can be draining no matter how much of an enthusiast you are.

If by the introduction of a small fee it could provide the inurance that ArtRageUS will continue, rather than fall by the wayside should you become unable for whatever reason to manage on your own for a spell (heaven forbid), then I'm all for the introduction a small fee (and I do mean small). Yes free is always better, but at what cost? If the mag goes . . . . . . . . .

I'm not suggesting this become some huge profit making machine that would be totally against the spirit of ArtRage itself - but to generate enough funds to enable a few folk to commit regular time per month to helping Bobby Ray (who should definitely also share in those funds by the way).

Look how far the magazine has come already. Let's put some cement in ensuring the future for every ArtRage user's benefit and give Bobby Ray some help here.

I also agree with leaving the decision about whether the mag remains monthly or goes to quarterly to what Bobby Ray feels he can continue long term with. Happy to see either option. Or how about bi-monthly? Whatever works best for the flow of putting the thing together along the ever improving path it's on already.
    Last edited by Nickillus; 10-04-2011 at 10:54 PM.
    Nick Harris Artwork
    http://nickillus.com

New system as of April 2011
    i5 quad core - Asus P7P55LX
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    8gig DDR3 RAM
    Wacom intuos 3 A5
    Radeon 512mb graphics card

Bi-monthly versus quarterly is an interesting idea. Quarterly seems a bit infrequent but I could see how monthly would he difficult to maintain. Bi-monthly might slow the pace down, but keep it regular.

Also, what is a "small" fee to others? 5$ an issue? 2$? 1$?