ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropshadow

Dropshadow

I downloaded the "Dropshadow Script: ArtRage Studio Pro only."

1) Where do I put this script and how do I make it work?

2) Will this script work on brushstrokes?

I see how this works. I'll test it on brushstrokes.

The dropshadow script presents unacceptable issues:

1) After applying the script, my brushstrokes near the original strokes reveal the problem (right).

2) Later on, working on a new test with no script activated, artifacts appear as shown (left).

See attached:
    Attached Images Attached Images   

When I tried this here, I wasn't able to see the problem you've illustrated, so could you please let me know the exact steps you went through after you applied the script, as this will be important in finding out what happened for you.

Also, are you using the latest version of Studio Pro? ( 3.5.3 ). If not, download and install the latest from the Member Area.

In the meantime, you can also create dropshadows for layer contents manually ( in the same way the script does ) via the following steps:

1/ Duplicate the layer you want to create a dropshadow for
    2/ Select the lower copy of the layer
    3/ Edit -> Adjust Layer Colours. Set the brightness slider all the way to the left and click OK
    3/ Edit -> Blur Layer. Blur the layer depending on how large you want the dropshadow
    4/ Right click the layer in the layer panel and choose 'transform layer contents'. Use your arrow keys to precisely move the dropshadow, or drag it into position. Press the enter key when done.
    5/ If your dropshadow is too dark, change dropshadow layer's opacity
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Artifacts Galore

I don't see my reply here.

Dual core iMac; 10.6.8

Using 3.5.3

After attempting the drop shadow script and running into the artifacts, i opened a new file. I put down some brushstrokes (normal round oil), but when I change colors, the artifacts return—without running the script.

To get out of this mess, I have to restart ArtRage.

See attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Manual Drop Shadow

While this approach is tedious, it does seem to work without causing the artifacts, as noted earlier.

It would be good to have the script work correctly.

Thanks for the details. I've been able to reproduce this now. It appears to be the situation discussed here: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=36929

This would be caused by adjusting layer colours, then changing tool colour afterwards, and would result in blocky artifacts. These are not in the file itself, so the following workaround should remove the artifacts in the meantime:

1/ Edit -> Adjust layer colours
    2/ Don't change anything, just click OK
    -The artifacts should disappear.

This problem will be fixed in our next update.

The script would be affected because it also uses the adjust layer colours option in the edit menu. However, using the workaround above should remove the artifacts.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Quote Originally Posted by soulartist View Post
    While this approach is tedious, it does seem to work without causing the artifacts, as noted earlier.

It would be good to have the script work correctly.
    Wow, Soulartist, you just aren't having any luck with graphics programs lately! First artifacts in Painter 12, now in Artrage as well!

What graphics card does your iMac have? Just curious ... I had an older iMac that gave me grief with heat and it's ATI Graphics card ... not that I'm saying that's the common factor here.

In this case, I merely changed colors from the color wheel—no adjusting layer colors.

I'll try your workaround. Thanks.

1/ Edit -> Adjust layer colours
    2/ Don't change anything, just click OK
    -The artifacts should disappear.

This problem will be fixed in our next update.

The script would be affected because it also uses the adjust layer colours option in the edit menu. However, using the workaround above should remove the artifacts.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn View Post
    Wow, Soulartist, you just aren't having any luck with graphics programs lately! First artifacts in Painter 12, now in Artrage as well!

What graphics card does your iMac have? Just curious ... I had an older iMac that gave me grief with heat and it's ATI Graphics card ... not that I'm saying that's the common factor here.
    It seems that way. My iMac has a NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GS graphics card. I don't think the card is the problem since DaveRage was able to reproduce the issue.

These technical issues definitely interrupt the flow of art.