ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BB - Pencil sketch WIP

BB - Pencil sketch WIP

Thought I'd post the beginning of a pencil sketch here...
    I want to see how the pencil's go first before deciding if I want to paint/color it later...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Finished...

Walter White - from the show Breaking Bad.
    I think I'm done... I keep going back in and changing things and finally I just have to say it's done. (though tomorrow I might change things around
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Walt_BB_9_26_11.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	60466  

Wow this is pretty amazing! Well done!!

I love great drawings and this is one of them!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

That is so good !! Congrats !
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

Love the very fine detail that you have captured in your drawing.
    Geoff

Thanks

Thanks everyone! I had fun doing this one.

I'm struggling with how "easy" it is to use ArtRage's "Trace" feature... while I certainly put a couple hours into this sketch, and I am happy with the way it turned out, I'm struggling with the fact that it's a "tracing" and that it feels like cheating. Does anyone else struggle with this? I know ART is art, and there are a lot of artists who use "tricks" to get to their finished piece, but it's something I've been thinking about and struggling with.

Thoughts?

That's an exceptionally interesting question to me. I've been struggling with something similar, as I see people use the cloning method in Painter, for example.

I guess the real question is "What's the purpose of creating art?" That's a personal question, but my take on it is that I do so in order to pay attention, to better see the world, and to better express my vision of it.

As such, tracing and cloning doesn't really hold a great deal of joy for me, and often I feel that many images that use them aggressively really lose something undefinable. Also as the maker of the art piece it "spoils the fun" of paying special attention and making the art object myself. This is generally why I don't use tools for making circles and straight lines unless I specifically need a truly perfect circle for some geometric reason. Additionally, as a viewer of art, a straight line or a circle drawn by hand or an image that wasn't traced is also often more graphically interesting because it has more opportunity, IMO, to reflect the hand of the maker.

Thus, I feel that both as the maker and viewer of art there's real value in doing something by hand.

Of course, there are also many examples historically of tracing done by great masters- camera obscura to create perspective and all that. I've felt like these were done either 1) as a skill building exercise or 2) that the tracing was just the basis for a great deal of additional material that the artist included that went beyond just "tracing."

Thus, in an image such as yours here, I guess the second question is "What is the purpose of this piece of art?" Perhaps it has very little to do with accurately depicting this person. Perhaps it has more to do with exploring pencil work and the joy of texture. If so, then perhaps it's fine for you to do it while tracing, because the representational image is just a vehicle for that type of media to play.

I think, however, it would be very interesting to see you do one without tracing and to compare them. Value is very subjective, but I think it would be an interesting exercise. How would the images differ? What would it mean if the untraced one was "less accurate"? Would it be more compelling or less so? I don't know. Is representational accuracy the purpose of art?
    Last edited by Steve B; 10-06-2011 at 05:15 PM.

Lovely sketch ..thanks a ton

Thanks John

I appreciated your feedback too Steve!
    You highlight some of my same thoughts as well.

I agree, attempting to do the same sketch a second time without tracing would be a challenge. It also brings right to the front my own self doubt of if I can do it... what's that saying about facing your fears?

I've come to terms a bit with this sketch... this is only my 6-7th item I've done in ArtRage and I feel like I'm still in "learning mode". So for my purposes this was all a test, and I'm happy with how it turned out.
    Would I submit this to an art show? Nope. But I think it's all matters of grays as to what's "cheating" (some would say using the computer is cheating). I'm going to come to terms with it and accept it and just continue to make "art"