ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: sticker spray vs PS brushes

sticker spray vs PS brushes

I downloaded this free Photoshop brush for a chain from the net....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This is what the brush stroke looks like in Photoshop (PS Elements ver 9.0)....

When I load it into ArtRage and use it as a sticker spray I get these results....

Is there a way to get the same results in ArtRage as I do in Photoshop?
    I looked at the sticker spray setting sheet but I got a little overwhelmed...

Thanks kindly...

Ken

Sure can. In fact, you should have a "chain" preset already in your preset list someplace, which ArtRage comes with. There's two options you'll need to tinker with. Depending on the orientation of the chain image (pointing up, right, left, down), you may need to adjust the "Base Value" dial within the "Rotation" Row, so that chain image points from left to right (so it lays horizontal on the screen). Once you have that correct, turn the dial for "Stroke Direction", within the "Rotation" row, up to 100%. The variations should look similar to what see here:

(EDIT: Looking at your first example image, I'd say that you'll need to turn the Base Value dial, in the rotation row, to around 38%)

Name:  variations for chain.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  46.4 KB

Here's an example image of some of the strand sprays I've made:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	strands.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	146.4 KB 
ID:	60382
    Last edited by Someonesane; 09-24-2011 at 01:51 PM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thanks Someonesane for you assistance...

I have much better results but the brush spacing needs to be adjusted as the chain is overlapping... I can't seem to figure out which setting adjusts spacing... Can you shed some light?

Again many thanks...

Oops... when I relaunched AR the settings for the above chain did not save... How do i save the settings for this chain.abr?

I see two options (which one do I select)

Setup settings for object spary
    Setup settings for image spray

Thanks

Ken

PS: I know there already is a chain preset but I'm trying to get my mind around the sticker spray settings... It seems a little too complicated for me. I do computer server & network support for a living so I'm a little gun shy to spend my idle time over anything too techhnical since I do that during the day....
    Last edited by kenmo; 09-25-2011 at 04:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kenmo View Post
    I have much better results but the brush spacing needs to be adjusted as the chain is overlapping... I can't seem to figure out which setting adjusts spacing... Can you shed some light?

The overlapping is due to the "Spray Rate" setting. It's one of the few options that is located on the settings panel for the Sticker Spray tool, rather then on the Variations Panel (see image below). If you lower the Spray Rate, you should come closer to the effect you desire.

Name:  sprayrate.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  21.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by kenmo View Post
    Oops... when I relaunched AR the settings for the above chain did not save... How do i save the settings for this chain.abr?

I see two options (which one do I select)

Setup settings for object spary
    Setup settings for image spray

Thanks

The "Object Spray" and "Image Spray" options, found on the Menu tab list, of the Variations panel, are basically just shortcut preset settings the AR team set up. Clicking either of them, adjusts everything to work in a manner closer to something like a "brush" or a "glitter". I don't use them often, and prefer to start from scratch. Once you've set up your dials the way you would like them, you should save the Sticker Spray settings as a Preset. To do this, click on the Presets Pod (located near the Tool panel), to open the Preset panel. Select a group to save the preset in, and click on the "New Preset" button. You may then name and add a picture (by clicking on the picture box) your preset, and it will be saved to the group you had selected, where you will find it for future use.

Name:  Presetspray.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  79.0 KB

No problem