ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Landscape Advice

Unhappy Landscape Advice

Hey everyone,
    I tried asking these questions in the galleries, but I think I resurrected a year old thread so the author probably won't see it (plus I couldn't find a private messaging option for users). Anyway, I was looking around the galleries for inspiration in order to draw my own landscapes and I came across a piece by user EB:

(I can't post a link due to my lack of posts, but you can find it in the Gallery section titled "My Landscape (I cranked it up a notch or two)")

I love the style that EB is using but being a beginner painter I had a couple of questions I was hoping either he or any other experienced painter would be able to answer for me:

1. Do you pick a primary color that you want to work with and create a palette around that color?

2. When you are painting the mountains (and the rest of the landscape in general), is there a particular stroke pattern you are using? Are you using a brush and palette knife in combination? Can you give a quick description of how you are getting that textured look?

3. It looks like there are lots of slight color variations in various areas of the painting...is that a result of applying one brush stroke at a time and changing the color levels each time? Is there a better approach to this?

4. How big was the canvas when you started? Do you start out with a very large canvas pixel-wise? Should it be bigger than your screen size or do you zoom in?

Thank you all for your time,
    Greg

Speaking just for myself, I have few, if any, absolutes when it comes to painting landscapes. My advice would be to experiment with all the tools. Try to find ways to use them that they may not have been intended for.
    Sometimes I'll use the brush, changing and mixing colors, sometimes I'll use the marker, or crayon. Sometimes chalk, or glitter.
    If you are just starting out, I would suggest using layers. That way you can experiment without worrying about having to start over from scratch if it doesn't go well. Not to mention that each layer is a tool all it's own, being able to resize, reposition, flip, duplicate, darken, lighten,etc..
    Just have fun. That's where the creativity comes from.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery: