Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Watercolors***

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Watercolors***

My first watercolors. 100% Watercolor. Fun to do. I know that there are great watercolorists here in the forums. These are my first steps... need to learn more. Hope you like it.

Observation: I have the impression that the watercolors displays the colors with a higher intensity, colors seems to be more vibrant and vivid.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Lima; 09-22-2011 at 11:18 AM.

Very nicely done Oriane..
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

All are so well done, but I love the red boat!

Wow Oriane, hope to see many more watercolours from you as these are stunning
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

congrats on great w/colours! love the red and blue contrast in the boat one.

Blimey. Doc. No your retired. There's no holding you Your giving

Us the full 5 star treatment it's going to be hard to keep up

With you I like the people round the fire congratulation on your W/C

---- E/S

The colors in these are extremely pleasing. I would say your watercolor works are every bit as good as the best.

Gary and Caesar thank you very much.
    Bobbi thank you

Very nice, Dr. Lima.

I agree that they look like gouache. . . which is cool in itself. I like that kind of paint.

Your marks seem careful and on the small side. Is that how you normally work or are you experimenting with subjects that have lots of changes in them so smaller strokes are the way to go?

It's interesting to see your thinking, as these speak a lot of islands of colors, like paint daubs that an impressionist or a plein aire painter with smaller brushes in his kit might make. Water colors, opaque and translucent can use large strokes through soaking larger parts of the paper strategically as it were, and then do some tricks and tighten up this and that with detail.

But large sections of wet paper might make for quickly drying in the sunlight outdoors thus requiring sweeping fast work. Or, it could suggest working in smaller strokes.

So it's a question of which is leading the painting, the intention of the artist who is after a style, or the behavior of the materials. I particularly like the atmospheric/weather painting at the top of this last batch with the boat with the yellow deck.

Any way you look at it, it's exciting. As an artist, you're always an inspiration on many levels owing to your enthusiasm for the whole experience from the artistic to the alchemical.

Success, Doctor.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream