Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Watercolors***

Oriane.. nice work with the watercolors... i worked with watercolors for many years and as a observation these indeed look like gouach as the color is opaque.. with watercolor as they are more transparent in nature than gouach or acrylics you work from light to dark with the darker more saturated colors on top but thinned out to allow the colors underneath to show and create the build up... these are great paintings....

Great job on your first watercolors!!! They are marvelous! I can't wait to see more.
    You can see more of my work at http://krasched.deviantart.com/.
    IMAGINATION IS EVERYTHING-Einstein
    See you space cowboy..........

Fantastic work Oriane!
    "The significance is hiding in the insignificant. Appreciate everything."
    Eckhart Tolle

Wow, thank you all very much.

Albert I fully agree with you and Gary... this clarifies my impressions about color. I've done 3 more and would like your opinios as well. Thanks. Albert saw you work in the after nine... Fantastic

1st one is The Fog Horn. I've tried to emulate the traditional watercolor from the artist Mary Churchill in this free lesson.

http://www.yongchen.com/lesson_mc2/6.html

2nd one is the Old Eglise, Jurujuba in Niteroi, just by Guanabara baie, 10Km from my home.

3rd is just a boat that needs more working.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Lima.... definitely gaining ground on the watercolor look with the loose and fluid feel of these... the purple dots in the water are a bit too opaque for my taste. I am wondering about lowering the opacity to 20-30 % as you build up the layers if that might keep that transparent quality... also maybe the base layer if toned ( off white ) and given a good texture would show through giving an even more W/C quality... fun to watch a great talent experiment..

Very original and wonderful watercolours la OrianeLima!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

The colors in these are extremely pleasing. I would say your watercolor works are every bit as good as the best.

Gary and Caesar thank you very much.
    Bobbi thank you

Very nice, Dr. Lima.

I agree that they look like gouache. . . which is cool in itself. I like that kind of paint.

Your marks seem careful and on the small side. Is that how you normally work or are you experimenting with subjects that have lots of changes in them so smaller strokes are the way to go?

It's interesting to see your thinking, as these speak a lot of islands of colors, like paint daubs that an impressionist or a plein aire painter with smaller brushes in his kit might make. Water colors, opaque and translucent can use large strokes through soaking larger parts of the paper strategically as it were, and then do some tricks and tighten up this and that with detail.

But large sections of wet paper might make for quickly drying in the sunlight outdoors thus requiring sweeping fast work. Or, it could suggest working in smaller strokes.

So it's a question of which is leading the painting, the intention of the artist who is after a style, or the behavior of the materials. I particularly like the atmospheric/weather painting at the top of this last batch with the boat with the yellow deck.

Any way you look at it, it's exciting. As an artist, you're always an inspiration on many levels owing to your enthusiasm for the whole experience from the artistic to the alchemical.

Success, Doctor.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream