ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Windows 7 Screen Recording Tutorial

Windows 7 Screen Recording Tutorial

I've been experimenting with various screen capture programs, and it seems like most of the ones I use slow my laptop down considerably. I've used TipCam, BB Flashback Express, CamStudio, etc. Nothing I've tried so far compares to Microsoft Expression Encoder. It's a free download, and gives you ten minutes of screencap time (unless you upgrade to the paid version). Using it, I am able to record full HD videos of my paintings without my laptop chugging or dropping frames. (I'd happily post a link, but until I get more forum posts, I can't do that. A quick Google search will help you track it down.)

When I start a painting, I start recording a script. Once I'm satisfied with my work, I save the script and open Microsoft Expression Screen Capture from the Microsoft Expression folder in the Start Menu. It's a good idea to start a timer if you know your script playback is going to exceed ten minutes, as you can pause your script, end the current recording, save it, start recording again, then unpause the script.

A list of the icon functions are in the first attached picture. If you wish to provide audio commentary or overlay a webcam video with the commentary you can do so. The options I use are shown in the second attachment.

Once you're satisfied with your settings, click on the red icon to start your recording. You'll then be able to select which window you want to capture, or the whole screen. For some reason, Microsoft decided to create their own proprietary format for recording, so screen captures will be saved as *.xesc files. Once you are done with your recording(s), close the capture program, and open Microsoft Expression Encoder. (You can also send screen captures directly to the encoder from the fourth icon from the left, where you set up your save location.)

Now that you're done recording, you'll need to convert your *.xesc files using Microsoft Expression Encoder. Open it from the Start Menu and click on Transcoding Project, then click OK as shown in the third attachment.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by ecamirG; 09-18-2011 at 09:48 PM.

You can right-click on the timeline to add edits, which basically splits the video at the cursor's current position. Once you do that, you can click, then right-click on an edited section and choose remove clip to get rid of it. This is handy if you have more than one clip and want to edit out your pausing and restarting of your script.

The attached pictures show the options I normally use. Depending on what resolution you recorded at, and whether or not your captures have audio, your options may be different.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.png 
Views:	112 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	60189   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.png 
Views:	108 
Size:	213.2 KB 
ID:	60190   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	206.5 KB 
ID:	60191  
    Last edited by ecamirG; 09-18-2011 at 09:49 PM.

The default location for your newly encoded videos is "C:\Users\USER_NAME\Documents\Expression\Expressio n Encoder\Output." If you only have one clip that you're exporting, you're done. It should be in .wmv format and ready to share. If you'd like to do further editing, or have more than one clip you can use Windows Live Movie Maker to edit / join your clips into one video.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	377.5 KB 
ID:	60194   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	423.1 KB 
ID:	60195  

Here's the download link:-
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en....aspx?id=24601

I have the full version (included with expression studio), I totally agree it's one of the best out there
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)