ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iPad Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make straight lines? and curves?

free2 Guest

How to make straight lines? and curves?

In Photoshop you can click somewhere
    then holding down the shift-key and click somewhere else
    and you get a straight line between the two clicked points.

Tried to do in Artrage - but will not function!
    How to do a straight line in Artrage - sometimes you need some straight lines.
    Everything is not curves...

If no straight lines in Artrage I do not think it is so hard to implement.
    And I have an idea - implementing straigh lines in Artrage
    why not also implent 3-point curves in Artrage?

Click somewhere - hold down the ctrl-key and click somewhere else
    and now you can click a third point to get a curve between the two first clicked points. That is something missing in Photoshop! So why not make something in Artrage missing in Photoshop? CURVES!!!!

Having the ability to make both straigh lines and CURVES in Artrage and it will become a top-application!!!

Now you can paint in Artrage - but painting without having the possibility to really tell where to paint it is not the real good thing...

Eg I want to make a room or a house - and I have to have some straight lines and some curves in the RIGHT place - now I can not do in Artrage and not in Photoshop.... so why not use my idea?

SHIFT - clicking two points and you get a straight line!
    CTRL -clicking three points and you get a curve!

Well - I do not have the program code to Artrage - but having that code I would immediatley make it happen... It is so easy programming - I believe... Artrage in what language is it written? C++???

Hope to see my suggestions soon - having in Artrage what Photoshop is missing...

Sure I have more suggestions - but I believe this one is the simpliest and best one... hope someone understands what I am saying,... really hope so...
    :roll:

Gallery
    View images

free2 Guest
    And another easy one to implement I guess
    is to let everyone decide the shortcuts themselves!
    Now the eraser tool has the equal sign as shortcut and you have to use the shift-key to be able to press it.... I believe many of us are using the eraser tool - not only once... somebody even twice or moooore....

so why not let everebody decide the shortcuts for themselves... having some default button... to reset them... so the help can refer to the right shortcut key...

Perhaps this one already asked for many times?
    :roll:

Gallery
    View images
    At least a couple of times, yes. =]

Gallery
    View images
    Eeeeek! I have to say that I would be MOST upset if ArtRage 3 came out with lines and curve editing! If I want a vector program, I use CorelDraw. If I want to paint, I use ArtRage. That's how it is.

Having said that, I followed the suggestion of someone here and glued some felt to the bottom of a ruler, and I use that if I need straight lines. And I only use that for making guidelines. ALL of my lines are painted by hand.

Something else I use for certain curves... one of those flexible rulers. Normally draughtsmen use them. I can't recall what they're called. They're rubber coated, have a roughly square profile, and have a flexible lead interior, I think. You bend it into the right shape, and use it like a ruler. Easy.

Blue skies
    love
    Roy
    ROY BLUMENTHAL

Visual Facilitator: http://royblumenthal.com/portfolio

ArtRage 3.5.5 and 4.0.4 on:
    Fujitsu T901, Asus R1E

Gallery
    View images
    I totally agree with royblumenthal. I use a vector program when I want to draw lines and shapes graphically.....but ArtRage when I want to paint with artistic expression and not be encumbered by the "preciseness" required by vector drawing. It's like the difference between drafting a house plan and painting a house portrait. IMHO perfect linework doesn't belong in an oil painting that, in most cases, is impressionistic.

That's what's so great about ArtRage. It's uncomplicated and fast and allows you to be creative without having to stop to think about which tool to use next.

Having said all that, I remember seeing a post where someone suggested creating a grid image and using that as a tracing layer when straight guidelines are needed....such as getting the horizon level for a seascape!

A grid overlay might be a good tool to have built in! (or is there one and I missed it?)
    "The one common element that I have discovered when studying master painters is that they were all 'students'." ~ Stephen Quiller

Gallery
    View images
    Quote Originally Posted by royblumenthal
    Eeeeek! I have to say that I would be MOST upset if ArtRage 3 came out with lines and curve editing! If I want a vector program, I use CorelDraw. If I want to paint, I use ArtRage. That's how it is.
    [...]
    Blue skies
    love
    Roy
    I just wanted to point out that adding straight lines and curves/circles does not necessarily mean it has to be vector-based. The tool could "draw" the components just as if someone with a stead hand had - as paint and non-editable. No one would have to use the tools if they didn't want to, of course!

D.

Gallery
    View images
    Just adding my rare $.02:

I would find the option to straight-edge digitally very useful. While I'm improving with a traditional straight-edge, I'm still wobbly. Sometimes more wobbly than I'd like.

Even traditional painters use guide rods. Just saying. And I don't feel like a straight edge option or curve would take anything away from artrage. As long as it didn't cause the program to be bulky, I'd find it fun to try to use it.

*still in love with artrage*

I admit though, I still have both copies of art rage 2... the updated and the not update version (both paid for)... so I can have my white marker.

I just forget to use it. LOL. And I now love having the water-marker greatly.

Gallery
    View images
    Bearblue, the ability to do straight lines in ArtRage is high up on our 'to do' list. It's a feature we're likely to implement in some form or other in a later release of ArtRage.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Gallery
    View images
    Hehe, if my hand isn't steady enough to make a straight line the first time I just hit the undo button and try again. The cool thing is that I know it the gesture of my own hand that made the thing.