ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Green Bee on Flower

Green Bee on Flower

Hello all,
    Still a new user here trying to learn ArtRage, and mostly trying to figure out how the brushes work. I'm slowly getting the hang of them. I still need to work on my blending techniques... (experimenting with the palette knife). If any one has suggestions on tool(s) or tips for blending please let me know. I'd appreciate any other crits (but go easy on me as I'm still a beginner).
    Thanks
    Cyen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Green_Bee_Flower_9_15_11_ss.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	60117  

nice. i like the subject, that gives a lot of freedom to you for a painterly approach.
    apart from tools, that i think u are on a right track, i do have a couple of suggestions though. i would make the petals smaller or make the inside round ball/disk with stigma, on which the bee sits, a little bigger including the bee. those big petals are making everything else seem quite small.
    one more thing, i would for sure translate the bee higher or move it so that the outline of the ball with grains break. right now its aligned with the bee. see both of them in silhouette, bee's definite shape would make a difference.
    i do hope u get my point. if u agree do consider.
    good work and all the best...
    regards,
    waheednasir.
    www.waheednasir.com

Thanks Wah

Hi Waheednasir,
    Thanks for the comments, and I appreciate your advice on the composition. I'll be honest, I was basically just concentrating on trying to learn ArtRage and the paint tools (brush and palette knife mostly), and didn't really consider composition. And, I also based this off of a photograph that my mom sent me, so I was trying to match that (with some artistic license of course). But I do appreciate the comments for sure.
    Thanks again,
    Cyen

PS> I'll add the photo here so you all can compare the two.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	green_bee_photo_small.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	60133  

hello again cyenobite.., nice photograph indeed! and i do get your point.
    you can see, this pic clears the points i previously made, the small noisy grains/texture with small details on the petals are there to give us an idea about the proportions, i didnt see that in your version, cause im sure u have a plan to put those. that small detail would justify size issues.
    the breaking of the outline of the inner ball is there in the pic, u can spot the bee's higher position in the pic and that works. whats there in the pic was my point. if you combine the ball and the bee, avoid having a circular outline, break it by moving the bee little higher, while still sitting on the ball.
    even if points like these arent there in the pictures that one copies, its good to change few things for a better look and composition.
    for getting the hangs of tools, im sure with time you will get there, just keep at it and explore.
    i like how youve handled things, your approach is just fine. its painterly and that very nice for me...

best.
    regards,
    waheednasir.
    www.waheednasir.com

Thanks Wah part 2

Hello Again Wah!
    I do appreciate your second reponse, and in fact I think I understand your points even better. Thanks for taking the time to explain it in more detail, and I agree with everything you pointed out!
    I have to decide now if I want to:
    1) try and fix the current painting
    2) start again and try a 2nd attempt
    3) move on to a new subject but keeping your points in mind

Art = fun
    thx
    C

pleasure and u are most welcome. thanks for considering the points...

happy painting mate.
    regards,
    waheednasir.
    www.waheednasir.com

Great painting. I couldn't find the bee at first so yes, it'd be good to define it a little more and separate it from the pollen so it's a little more obvious. Cool work!