ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Artifacts??!!

Artifacts??!!

AR 3.5.3 update produced some big gray squares as if I was pulling paint from the dark areas into the light ones. First with watercolors, then with chak, pencil, etc.

I didn't record the screen as I was in a hurry to deliver the work. So, just used light colors to reverse the "stain" and saved the work.

I'll try to reproduce the happening tomorrow with more time.

I have a Mac Mini 1,83, dual core, 2 MB of Ram, using OSX 10.4 "Tiger".
    Nulla die sine linea
    http://bobrow.wordpress.com

Sorry to hear you had a problem. If you see it again, even if you're not entirely sure what recent steps you took in your painting, if you could send a screenshot and as many steps as possible that you can recall to support@artrage.com, that may help us to identify what might have happened.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

I just had the same "artifacts" issue with Artrage 3.5.3 Studio Pro - happened both on my work PC and at home. Configurations are almost similar - Phenom II X2 3.1Ghz, 4Gb RAM, Windows 7 64-bit, all drivers up-to-date. I have worked on a character concept, and i had to change the background color a bit - hit Ctrl-J and opened "Adjust Colors" dialog, selected an area in the Preview window and played a bit with colors. Hit Ok and continued working on the character - then suddenly i saw this "square" of different color, and i swear it was on the same spot i had in the Preview window. Now if i hide the layer back and forth, it disappears, but at some point it appears again. To remove it completely, i have to save my work and restart AR. I'm almost sure it started happening after the last patch.
    "I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!"

Was able to reproduce it, following the exact steps in the above post:
    "I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!"

Thanks for the info Borillius. I've added the details of this to our list to correct in an update, you can find some further info here: http://www2.ambientdesign.com/forums...ad.php?t=36929
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks, Dave! I've searched the forums, but somehow missed this post! Keep up the good job, guys!

Seconded

I get these squares too, since the latest upgrade to 3.5.3 Studio Pro.

In my case, it happens when I'm picking colors, either from a reference or the image itself. Adding a layer and deleting it afterwards removes the square, but once it appeared it will turn back everytime I'm changing the color. Once this behaviour has started, it also makes no difference wether I pick colors via the colorpicker or change the colors directly via the color wheel; only a restart solves the issue - for some time.

And I agree with Borilius, the size of that square matches the size of the preview window for ColorChanges/Blur - as for the position, I can't tell.

Check my post above for a link to a thread discussing this, including a quick method to remove the artifacts without restarting ArtRage. This will be fixed in an update, but in the meantime following the two steps in the thread I linked to should correct the artifacts.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thumbs up Great fix!

At least for the time being. In the evening I finally managed to paint a little and test this quickfix: it's easily done, fast and works nicely.

Thank you very much