ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8 Previews

Windows 8 Previews

Due out some time next year, Microsoft is already touting Windows 8 as the biggest overhaul to the windows OS since 3.11 went to win95

Here's a video of the new 'touch first' interface
    Previewing Windows8

For those interested, the Microsoft engineers have started a blog which updates with new features and videos as they're released here:-
    Building Windows 8
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

We're working for you! just kidding
    Even from inside what I can see is what you can read on the Product Team Blog.
    I'm looking forward to see how will be working on it and how will be the new devices.

Try to guess what will be the first application I'll test as soon as I'll have an Alpha version of it....

Hopefully they have a Manhattan type project scheduled to take care of all the "fixes" that will be necessary.
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Yeah, I hear they're moving to a cloud system, so you won't be buying a personal cd or dvd of it either. No volume licensing ect.... all digital download

Hmmmm. It kind of reminds me of the operating system on my Android phone. Interesting that they made it so drastically different from all previous Windows operating systems. That could be a good thing, but is the familiar old Windows interface better? Too early to tell. I will be watching this develop!

Microsoft should still be providing upgrades to Windows 8 as long as you have a legal version of 7. I think these are for beta testing only. I do not know where and how you can do this though. I personally know some folks that have done this already.

Screw cloud computing.

I think I would rather wait until beta is over! You know how Microsoft and their "Windoze" updates are lol!

Quote Originally Posted by MagenSparks View Post
    Yeah, I hear they're moving to a cloud system, so you won't be buying a personal cd or dvd of it either. No volume licensing ect.... all digital download
    I can't see MS discontinuing retail boxes, OEM boxes, or VL/MSDN any time soon to go with a distro system as flaky as "the cloud". These are distro channels that already bring in billions. The only OS maker I've even seen hint at "digital distro only" in the past little while is Apple, and even they changed their minds after the Lion release. It wouldn't make sense for MS to be expanding their storefront operations (as they are) if the next OS was going to be digital only.

I can, however, see them removing the "physical media" option for MSDN. That was never a very sensible option, and no MSDN user that I've ever known uses it.

On the other hand, speaking of the cloud, Apple's new iCloud service runs off Windows Azure, so MS will obviously be looking to expand cloud operations.

Quote Originally Posted by I-BRDP View Post
    We're working for you! just kidding
    Even from inside what I can see is what you can read on the Product Team Blog
    @I-BRDP As my insider, i'm relying on you to keep the hamsters well fed so they can keep going flat out on the treadmills that grind the machinery. I believe Tycho has this role at Ambient

Hopefully they have a Manhattan type project scheduled to take care of all the "fixes" that will be necessary.
    @Barnburner LOL. Well if win7 intro is the benchmark we wont have to worry, if win95 is we will I'm grateful that the engineers are being so open during development

@MagenSparks As a Microsoft Business Partner, I already get volume licencing off the cloud for win7, office, expression studio etc... I personally can't see that changing, volume licences are too important to business, gov't, universities etc

Hmmmm. It kind of reminds me of the operating system on my Android phone. Interesting that they made it so drastically different from all previous Windows operating systems. That could be a good thing, but is the familiar old Windows interface better?
    @scribbledsoul I've got a Windows 7 phone which has a very similar interface to the way they are going with win8. Its really smick for touch, very responsive, easy to use and a great tactile experience. How well it translates to mouse/tablet + keyboard remains to be seen I guess. From what the engineers are saying it appears that both interfaces will be available
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2...e-desktop.aspx
    I'm with you on installing a new OS, i usually am cautious and wait for the first patch b4 moving... i dont mind alpha software but an alpha or beta OS... i'm not that brave.

Microsoft should still be providing upgrades to Windows 8 as long as you have a legal version of 7. I think these are for beta testing only. I do not know where and how you can do this though. I personally know some folks that have done this already.
    @Sethren, the beta won't be released til either late this year or early 2012 according to Microsoft.
    You can fake the look and feel of Windows 8 on your Windows7 machine by installing the Rainmeter application with the Omnimo UI for rainmeter. I personally haven't done this as I don't like lots of memory resident apps stealing resources while running in the background on my machine.

I share your sentiments on the cloud having just spent an hour and a half backing up a 56meg application to Asus cloud storage. Look up 'why the cloud will fail' in your favorite search engine for an interesing read

I can't see MS discontinuing retail boxes, OEM boxes, or VL/MSDN any time soon to go with a distro system as flaky as "the cloud".
    @Yogosdoth, completely agree
    Retail boxes: still too many on bad connections to completely eliminate

OEM's: hard to imagine that after fostering business partnerships to get the OS on the hardware at purchase that they'd turn around and say 'not anymore'. Microsoft is trying to make inroads into the consumer market so not allowing hardware manufacturers to ship their machines with a preinstalled OS seems counterintuitive.

Vol Licence for MSDN: Hehehe not having it would be like saying how can we lose all our biggest and best customers tomorrow
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Being paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Who owns the Cloud?

Who will hold the key?

What would you do if they disconnected you?

Why have my USB ports never worked properly since W7 upgrade?
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.