ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Hidden Pond

Hidden Pond

I put down my brushes on my 'Barn in Oil' piece until I get some input from some oil artists on the forum. In the meantime, I've tried my hat at another oil painting I'm calling 'Hidden Pond'. This is my first oil piece ever, real or digital. Again, I'm looking for some input as I don't think it's quite "done". I'm not sure if I'm happy with the evergreens either as I don't have a fan brush to make them properly. What are your thoughts?

I like it! You are learning quickly. The water stands out to me as being especially well done. And I don't think that you need a fan brush to paint the evergreens; you have done a wonderful job of capturing the shape and texture with the tools that you have.

This piece is full of wonderful and interesting textures and colors. You have suggested the shapes of the foliage and the clouds nicely, which adds visual interest and keeps the viewer's eye moving around the painting looking for all of the little details. It is nicely composed and balanced, and the bird is the perfect detail to really make it stand on its own as a solid piece.

I think it's a lovely painting, and I like the mood that it sets. Keep in touch with your fellow Ragers, and let us know how you progress with your work!

~ Scribbles

This is a nice painting Rob. I see so many good points, you've got excellent recession and great colors and your foreground vegetation is very well done. You will soon get to grips with the tools and surprise yourself with what you can achieve with Artrage. I am still learning something new every day and that keeps it so interesting and makes painting in Artrage such a pleasure.

It's a beautiful painting, really nice atmosphere. Personally I think the bright greens could be toned down a bit to give more sense of distance but this is really well done!

Hi Hildee - thanks for the input! I'm going to try toning down the brighter greens. I think I'm also going to try putting trees even further in the background to increase the depth.

Cheers!
    Rob

You're welcome

Hey I was going to say too..if you put the updated one up, add it here. It's so interesting seeing a picture changed and it helps to compare it with the original

good going, im sure of a very nice result...
    regards,
    waheednasir.
    www.waheednasir.com

Suggestions...

dear Spitfire, ive very quickly and roughly suggested few touches here and there, that you can for sure notice, to make things work together. ive worked on:
    light, clouds, trees, grass, tones and colors. and esp the composition over all. ive played with the proportion of the trees at left to introduce a feeling of depth, kind of viewing the scene over the shoulder. ive made it more of a hidden pond, as per your title, by encircling it with more trees.
    pls consider this as humble suggestions, that i hope might help a little. u got all the right to disagree though...
    i really like the scene and got encouraged to work over it. hope thats alright with you.

all the very best.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Suggestions-02-wn.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	316.0 KB 
ID:	59927  
    regards,
    waheednasir.
    www.waheednasir.com