ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Barn in oil

Barn in oil

Alright folks - I'm looking for some help and feedback. I have never in my life worked with oil paints, so I have no idea how to work them. I've watched a few youtube videos to get an idea, but that's obviously not a substitute for actually doing it.

So my first attempt in oils is to paint the barn featured below :

I've sketched out the barn and put down a base layer of oil to start with. My question is to all you oil artists - is this how to properly start out, and are these the types of colors you would use to get started as the base?

Thanks for any help you can lend!
    Rob

Hmmmmm. You have chosen an interesting subject to paint here. To answer your question, every artist is different, and develops their work in a different way, so there is really no correct technique for starting a painting. You must figure out what works best for you.

I like the way that you have laid out the basic shapes and background colors of your painting. Do you like the mood that the colors that you have chosen set? Do you want to follow the same colors as the original photo, or do you want to develop colors of your own?

Often, I find that oil paintings that use colors that are not present in the original reference can be very complex and interesting to the eye. Check out the example that I have attached to this post, an oil painting by Leonid Afremov. See how the artist used his own colors to develop the painting? The bright and contrasting colors and bold brush strokes add a lot of visual interest to this piece.

Other artists may choose to use more controlled brush strokes and colors that are accurate to the original reference, for greater realism. I think that both styles can be equally beautiful. It's all in what you prefer.

What is your goal for the piece? Realism? Impressionism? I am curious as to how this will develop. I like the loose brush strokes here; you show a free and confident hand. Will that be the style of your finished piece?

I would experiment at first by working in layers. Keep your original painting on the bottom layer, and then build on it in layers on top, so that you can play around without messing up your original work.

Hope I helped somehow!

~ Scribbles
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by scribbledsoul; 09-08-2011 at 05:45 PM.

looks like a good start... I wouldn't get too locked in to just using the oil brush though. you can get an oil look while still using other tools. no one here is a purest like in the art world.
    for fog I would use the air brush. no way around that. I would also use the felt pen and palette knife in the trees and felt pen, chalk and pencil for the barn. you can still come out with an oil look. use some oil too if you want to.
    there are so many presets and so many variables I know it must seem hard at first to get started. but don't get locked into just using the oil brush to make an oil painting. as far as under painting I think what you have should work.
    if you have ar studio pro you can also use sticker brushes to add texture and don't forget to set your canvas texture that helps it look like oil as well when done in moderation. for the sky use a light lavender almost white but not white because white will not print well. happy painting.