ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for Mac users.

Question for Mac users.

I am thinking of switching from PC to iMac. Anyone has experience with that ?
    Or would that be a not so wise decision ?
    I hear it's a totally different way of working/thinking.

besides that, someone I know says that ArtRage is not fast enough on an iMac... is this true? I haven't seen it working on the mac, so this could be totally untrue ...

screen27"
    memory4GB
    Harddisk 1TB
    AMD radeon 1GB
    intel quad core i5 3,1GHz

I have a wacom cintiq 12WX LCD tablet (DTZ-1200W)
    Can I still use my other tools like OKI laser printer ?
    Thanks for taking the time of answering this.
    Just say: "Rage It", because we already know it's art.

My ArtRage 3 and 4 Gallery------My Site ------- BROWSE MY BOOK

I have a friend who was given an imac for Christmas by the company she works for. She and her husband absolutely love it. they were dyed in the wool pc users... would never consider a mac. now they say well, you know the saying...
    once you go mac... you never go back.
    they cannot believe how easy they are to get around and less to no crashes.
    and the color management and the search built in the OS. the picture quality is just amazing. they absolutely love it. they couldn't figure out why they were so stubborn for all those years... they said they must have been brainwashed.
    they love the new imac.
    I now own a pc. and I love it too, but it still is not the experience you have
    on an imac. I hope you get one. you will love it.

ps. if I had 1200 in the bank I would be at the apple store on Tuesday.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 09-05-2011 at 07:13 PM.

Thanks Screenpainter...

hannz,

You really need to ask yourself why you want to change. Is it just for something different? Also, remember all the time to get used to Windows when you started using it? Do you really want to spend a lot of time learning the Mac, or do you want to just use ArtRage?

Food for thought....

Cheers

Doug

I love my wife's MacBook Air, but I've stayed PC because I use a convertible tabletpc. Apple simply wont make a portable computer with a pressure sensitive pen-input screen. That's bummed me out, but that's the way it goes. It does also seem that Mac's don't always agree with some of the programs people use. I hear more about compatibility issues with Mac's and drivers than I do with PCs. But perhaps this isn't true?

Beyond that though, Mac's seem very nice to use. I like them. I don't have crashes on my PC though anymore, with Win7. I also don't have viruses, since Microsoft seems to have produced a pretty good free program for that now. So those complaints don't really seem to apply for me anymore, atleast anecdotally. Those used to be some of the biggest reasons against using a PC.

What are the main reasons for using a Mac?

It's time for a new computer, and a befriended Mac user (say fanatic mac user), and owner of a printshop tries to win me over, so now I am informing with more neutral friends.
    If I want something different? Not an issue here,since I still have a win7 Laptop..

Most folks I know that are professionally working in digital art, use macs. So I guess wondering about it is not so strange...

The more answers I get, the easier it is for me to decide. it's certainly not the price, over here macs and pc are almost the same price range..

I hear that ArtRage on the mac gives a terrible lag. Anyone has these experiences? If so, it's a nono

We actually find it tends to run slightly faster on a comparable OS X machine. We had one user who had problems we couldn't track down that gave them lag, but it's not common and there was some weird configuration stuff going on on the specific machine that might have been causing it.

Because we write native code for both platforms you're not going to get slower behaviour on one like you would if we were just emulating the other platform.

So from the point of view of ArtRage (at least from the internal point of view) I'd say there's no real advantage conferred by either platform.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thumbs up Buying a mac decision

I vote for mac. I've owned many of both platforms and prefer the mac for elegance of OS, ease of use, unobtrusive updates, freedom from virus attacks (for the time being), the bundled software, the mac store, and performance. Also, the mac platform is cross platform compatible with most Windows apps, especially the Microsoft Office group, and the mac can even run Windows 7 if you've got legacy software you need to run on Windows.

mac haters won't like this, but mac's office group, PAGES, NUMBERS, and KEYNOTE open PC generated MS Office documents in about half the time as my installed MS Office apps, WORD, EXCEL, or POWERPOINT.

I did get to play with a new imac for about an hour at a design school graduation to view the students work. the displays are so beautiful...it was such a dream to use. the simplicity of the OS does not take much learning at all. It's just so simple...
    mostly point and click. PC has pretty much become just like a mac... so I don't think you would have a hard time switching nowadays.