ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Apple

My Apple

Hi folks - Rob here - I'm new to ArtRage so thought I'd say hello. I've just purchased a Wacom Intuos4 as well as ArtRage and I'm loving every second of it! For my first go, I've decided to follow along with Henry Stahle's apple tutorial. I couldn't figure out how to get the layer texture to work out properly so it's a fairly smooth apple.

But alas, I need to make some more posts before I can post my apple. Lol.

Back to the forums! When I make enough posts, I'll be back to post my apple!

Cheers!
    Rob

Howdy Rob!

Welcome to the Rage! This new adventure you are embarking on will be one that will bring you many hours of total inner joy! Again welcome to Art Rage and we all wait anxiously to watch you grow and become one of the great contributors to this wonderful community.

Welcome to the forum Spitfire, looking forward to seeing your apple.

Welcome for the Artrage forums and looking forward to seeing your artwork Spitfire
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Glad to have you here Rob, looking forward to seeing your art

Yay! I'm allowed to post my pics now! So without further adieu, here's my first AR piece - My Apple....

I couldn't figure out how to add texture to the apple from the tutorial, it was a little vague. Can anyone help me out on how to properly add texture so I can make the apple a little less shiny and more realistic?

Thanks in advance!
    Rob

rob... a fancy apple at that... welcome to the AR forum!

Welcome to Artrage. Let me give you a couple quick tips like you asked for. In digital painting texture is king. I'm using Artrage studio 3.5 (not pro cause i'm poor) so you should be able to follow along. I took your image and sandwiched it be tween two layers. on the bottom layer I used a thick loaded brush and swiped some strokes underneath following the shape of the apple. Since your image is a solid opaque layer none of the color shows through from the layer under it but the texture does. On the layer above it the color of course dose show so matching your colors I used the pastel tool with very light pressure and touched up the highlights and shadows to rough up the surface of the apple. hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images