ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Inkling"A nice Wacom Addition to the toolbox

"Inkling"A nice Wacom Addition to the toolbox

Interesting idea. It seems to work in the way, the motion capture works. The digital pen's movement will be instantly scanned and saved on the receiver, which can be mounted at any sketch block or similar. It can be quite useful not only for artists, but ...I'm wondering how much spare pen ink cartridges will cost. I assume you must buy them in wacom store of course.

Couldn't find the cost of spare cartridges,
    nibs don't seem to cost that much.
    I like the idea of this product as it is a on the go product.
    My interest is both vector and drawing thus ideal.
    Now to get the money to buy it

Hans

I think I'd like one of these! Great idea for those times where I can't take a buncha stuff with me.

Indeed,it might also be great for the bus sketches

Hans

That's very cool! Those folks are always thinking at Wacom. I like that. Thanks for sharing this!

I'm also very interested in the Inkling - I really like the idea of sketching on paper first.

From a vector point of view, I've tried importing a sample Inking Adobe Illustrator (AI) file into Xara PGD7. The recorded lines are made from multiple filled shapes, rather than actual lines (at least in the particular file I looked at) so not easy to do much editing beyond resizing and changing colours (at least in Xara, might be a different story in Illustrator or other vector drawing programs). I found the sample file here.

On the Wacom Inkling FAQ page it says it uses "standard mini ballpoint 1.0 mm size refills that can be purchased from stationary stores".

All things considered I think it sounds like a quick way to capture ideas and doodles and get them into the computer - I want one!
    Good planets are hard to find - help look after ours.

Drooool...I want one! Looks like a fun and useful little tool!

Nifty, but looking at the technical specifications, I'd say best try before you buy.

My main concern is with the accuracy which is +/- 2.5mm in the centre area and +/- 5.0mm at the edges. Depending on the type of artwork you are doing 1/4 to 1/2 a centimeter off could be a hard pill to swallow.

The device will only support paper sizes up to A4 (about letter size for those in the US) which may be important to some.

For the price it would probably make more sense to get a flatbed scanner which gives the option of using any prefered sketching medium, (not just biro), use of an eraser (if using pencil) and extract an extremely accurate representation of a sketch. You can even scan found objects (eg/ leaves, branches) on many of them. You can still work with a portable sketchbook on the go and then scan when you get back to the studio. With selection tools and tracing options of most software its not difficult to separate artwork to different layers.

It is something to keep an eye on though, i'm sure better versions will be available before long.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Yesterday I got my inkling. After the first day I think the hardware is amazing. Great usability, great design ... but the software seems to be from older days
    You can easy draw like with a ball pen - because it is a real ball pen. The pen seems to save internally vector data with position and presure. The accuracy is okay for me.
    After you connect the sensor with your PC the inkling software can export it to Photoshop, Illustrator or Sketchbook Pro. Unfortunately it exports all drawings with a stroke like a ball pen. I hoped for a export in different brush or pen styles ... but this doesn't work currently. I also desired a function to adjust the presure before export. No way, only progress of the drawing can be used to tune the export.
    Before I use the inkling first, I though I can use it as scanner replacement. But related with the limited storke style this will not work. But with the great layer function and the endless memory on the sensor I will use it for quick sketches all over the day. Next month I will do some hardcore tests in rail

By the way, it is expensive ... it is a great hype around it. I would buy it again.