ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Smoothing problems in version 3.5.2

Smoothing problems in version 3.5.2

Hi

I sent a support request yesterday about this issue. I wanted to post an image on the forum to help illustrate the problem, but as this is my first post I'm not allowed.
    I have just upgraded to version 3.5.2 (full version). I have a Windows 7 OS and I use a Wacom Bamboo tablet. This problem only occurred after the upgrade to 3.5.2. I have tried adding the no_ink.inf file to the resources folder as suggested, but the problem remains.
    I have found that smoothing is either not working or is behaving strangely giving a double line effect. Sometimes when I use the ink pen for the first time the smoothing will work normally, however, when I switch to the eraser and back again then the issues begin. It is the same for the pencil tool. Please let me know asap how to correct the issue or how to downgrade back to 3.5.1.
    Thanks

The no_ink file is a fix for ArtRage 2.6. In the AR Studio versions there is an option within preference panel for this, that can be turned on or off, along with some other options that may (or may not) help.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

The InkPen smoothing is a bug I accidentally introduced in the 3.5.2 build. We are know about it and we're releasing an urgent fix very soon.

For your interest, a new feature I was working on for ArtRage 4 slipped into the 3.5 codebase and interfered with the InkPen (and Pencil in precise mode) smoothing.

When we do a release of ArtRage we are faced with a tough problem. We need to start work on the *next* major release immediately, but we know that we're also going to have to solve bugs (they're inevitable, despite our best efforts) in the previous release. As we're going to have to release the bug fixes for the current version and we'd also like to have those bugs fixed in the next version, we have to be very careful about getting the code mixed up.
    For example, if I add an exciting new feature to the tools (which I cant tell you about yet ) but I also make a bug fix to the paint tools for the current version, I have to be very careful the new feature doesn't slip into the current version code, but that the bug fix is in both the new and old version of the paint tools.

Anyway, the fix will be available very soon - it's in beta testing now - and I'm very sorry for breaking the InkPen smoothing.
    AndyRage's mantra for graphics engine code:
    "Sure - how hard can it be?"

Hi

Thanks for the responses. Great to hear you're already aware of the issue and a fix is on the way. In the meantime is there a way I can downgrade back to 3.5.1? I'm in the middle of a storyboarding job and I don't want to switch to another software.

Thanks

No problem. When I received your support email I sent you a response with details and also to confirm that it was the Windows version of 3.5.1 you wanted to download. I see that is correct from your post. If you didn't receive my previous email, check your junk mail folder just in case it was moved there

I've jsut sent you an email now with details on downloading 3.5.1. If you have any proiblems or questions, please feel free to email me directly at support@artrage.com
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Hi Dave

Thanks for the great support. Your emails were in the junk folder, sorry I missed them. Downloaded and installed 3.5.1 and everything is back to normal.

Thanks again!