ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: watercolor antialiasing

watercolor antialiasing

Hi:

When the watercolor brush gets very small, around 2-3 %, it seems that it doesn't have any antialiasing. The edges gets very ragged.
    Is that a wellknown problem? Or is it a feature, that just doesn't suits my style?
    The other brushtypes like artpen doesn't have this problem, they are antialiased even when 2%, so I have to use artpen (or other brushes) for details in my watercolorpaintings.

Stig

same problem here, even with the watercolour brush at default size (which is around 30% if I remember right) ... see this thread.

so it seems to rather be a (wellknown) problem than a feature ...

Yes it is also noticeable in larger brushsizes, though not so much I think.
    The reply in the other thread doesn't solve the issue, as I don't get any antialiasing no matter how I make thin strokes in watercolor.
    Anyway, I hope it wil be solved.

Stig

I agree. It's most noticeable in smaller-sized brushes, and doesn't seem to have anything to do with the pressure exerted. It's there in the bigger sized brushes too, but less so. It definitely doesn't seem to have anything to do with the paper type either. I use the watercolor paper frequently, and I have the same problems described by others. What's strange is that it doesn't really appear in the other brush types.

Would love to have this fixed.

The watercolor strokes are antialiased, the effect you're seeing relates to the generation of the wetness maps that are used to calculate the spread of pigment on the canvas and which, when small size brushes or small size granularity in the canvas is present, can create tiny spots which reduce the amount of water diffusion (tiny droplets don't spread as far). This creates steeper full->transparent pigment gradations. As a result, it will look more pixelated (a full pigment -> no pigment transition of one pixel in size will always be a pixel). Doing a second antialiasing pass after the diffusion of the pigment has been calculated would put a large overhead on the brush and slow it down too far.

The grain you're using with affect this to some extent. With 0% roughness you get almost no pixelation, and none of the tiny falloff spots because there's no grain defining small spots of high contrast wetness gradations.

Bumping your Thinners up can help reduce dark spotting because the pigment is more diluted. Changing grains and reducing roughness can also smooth out the strokes.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

firstly, i want to say that i just picked up the artrage sp 3.5 demo after working with the ipad version for a few hours. i'm very impressed with both, great job! nothing else approaches artrage on the ipad for natural media tools, and i feel like i even get more enjoyment out working in artrage than in painter (!)

i have to admit that i was unhappy at first with the watercolor results in the desktop version. trying matt's suggestions, however, i am getting much better results. that said, there indeed seems to be some aliasing/stepping going on with some edges. i'm going to link to some screenshots showing my brush/surface settings and the results -- i thought it would be helpful for a the dev to see the aliasing presence (i've circled the "steppiest" areas), and for other users to see the improved results from adjusting the settings. all are done with solid black on paper.

(screenshot links to come)

4 of 8 attached...

a note on looking at these for devs and users alike -- the edge results and the highlighted issues are more clear when you view the full-size images. seems you need to click thumbnail, then click the popup image that appears against black to actually see the full-size pic (just uploaded jpg against white)?. otherwise the stepping is dithered down in the thumbnail and doesn't seem as problematic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot1.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	59643   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	195.2 KB 
ID:	59644   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot3.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	177.8 KB 
ID:	59645   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot4.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	59646  
    Last edited by muchachotron; 09-01-2011 at 02:50 PM.

5-8...

i hope these are helpful, as even though there are still some undesirable steps going on, it should be clear that you can get some great results with proper settings dialed in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot5.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	166.0 KB 
ID:	59648   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot6.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	203.5 KB 
ID:	59649   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot7.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	195.2 KB 
ID:	59650   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screenshot8.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	180.0 KB 
ID:	59651  

taking a hint from that thumbnail behavior, i guess one workaround would be to render out at a larger file size and then reduce the output file to improve the appearance of the aliasing.

matt, in regard to this:

"Doing a second antialiasing pass after the diffusion of the pigment has been calculated would put a large overhead on the brush and slow it down too far."

maybe there can be some sort of command that applies this second pass after hitting a button, sort of like "baking" the first pass onto the layer (painting a bunch of strokes, then hit the button)? then the brush laying down the initial strokes wouldn't be impeded by the multiple AA passes during painting. or, this could even be done during the final render out (export at a multiple of the intended resolution, then shrink to desired resolution automatically? i dunno). i think if it could be done during the working process that would be best, so blending and interaction with other media on the layer would be predictable.