ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Supplication

Supplication

Here is another cat drawing. It was drawn using only pencil and eraser, no blending. This one was a lot of fun, hope you guys enjoy it!

Here is a link to the original reference image: http://www.sxc.hu/browse.phtml?f=view&id=594393
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Supplication.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	488.2 KB 
ID:	59526  
    Last edited by scribbledsoul; 08-29-2011 at 01:14 PM.

Wonderful drawing. I am just blown away by your talent!

-fugu

Thanks for the kind words! I am glad that you enjoyed this; I sure had a blast drawing it!

I doubt Very Much if Anyone could have done this better! Superior work!
    My Website - SkylarArt.com
    "Beauty Draws those who Draw Beauty" - Skylar

Now there's a fluffy one!

Your attention to detail of fur really pays off. I think it makes your pictures. Although I never for a second lose sight of the cat, I follow the fur patterns and can really appreciate the ride.

It's as if we're seeing a chorus of movement in your descriptive lines that flow and swirl in patterns that when I look at a cat I take for granted.

You've sorted a pretty overwhelming amount of information for us. It's like a lyric in a song will often isolate a pleasing structure from a naturally occurring set of experiences leading to a central point. And you are doing this kind of thing here and that's what makes this presentation of this cat stylistic.

Very nice work.

The only caution I would make is to keep the anatomical form with foreshortening -- using descriptive overlap and shadowing being a tool for making it read properly, because the fur is so dazzling, one could get caught up in making that look really good and sidestep the rest. In other words, the fur patten may have to be "cheated" or enhanced to emphasize form. I'm looking at the muzzle (is that a cat word?) as being okay but missing by a hair's breadth so to speak. the bridge of the nose seems to be bending to the left a tad. It's all in how fastidious you want to be about it. Forgive me for pointing it out. But you seem so good as a craftsman that it is something you could merely blink and assimilate that little point.

Those eyes and other features are fantastic!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thank you! The feature that I was the least happy with was actually the left eye lol. (It is blurry and pales in comparison to the right, I think that I rushed it a little bit because I was so eager to be finished.) I don't see the nose bending to the left; perhaps it is a trick of the shadows or I just missed it as you said hehe (and perhaps I spent too many hours staring at this cat to see it properly). But here is the original image that I used as a reference, for comparison. How does my drawing compare to the original photograph, in your opinion?

Of course, I always take some artistic liberties, keeping to the original image as much as possible, while still adding some of my own touch to it, and enhancing or changing the value of areas here and there to help build form in the drawing. Hmmmm, you've given me some food for thought. I will be sure to take your advice in my future drawings, that is really helpful! I definitely see where I could have done some more form building. Often the critique of others is one of the best ways to learn and to spot areas that need more work. Thanks for taking the time to evaluate this in such depth, and give me such a helpful opinion!

~ Scribbles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	594393_54160901 BW.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	59528  

You nailed it. I see the nose bending to the left in the photo. Only thing I can think of is that there may have been some distortion resulting from the particular lens that was used.

Right off what shows different is the structure of the chin is getting lost, you simplified the line, thus losing the structural tilt a little. And the base of the nose you have the right going down a little more than works making it seem a little more angled.

We rarely question photos for distortion, do we, especially when it's working in our minds. But that's where I think the problem lies, I think it's the photo primarily and those couple details. Cause some of the leading horizontal lines in yours are accurate perspective wise. But the photo bends and there's the culprit.

EDIT: I think the shadow along the nose taken all the way to the tip would also help to define the structure.
    Last edited by D Akey; 08-29-2011 at 02:47 PM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I see what you mean! I will admit that I didn't put the care into the chin area that I should have, and I got the shape of mine a little off. I think that perhaps next time it would help me to stand back and view the drawing from a distance (especially the rough sketch in the beginning stages), so that I can get a better idea of what the underlying form and structure is. I did most of this work zoomed in so that I could detail the fur, and didn't zoom out much to see the whole thing. Sometimes it's too easy to get lost in the details!

Good eye, and I really appreciate and respect your opinion! I have learned a lot from this particular drawing, and I can't thank you enough for helping me. For a perfectionist like me, it is essential to get all of the important details just right!

~ Scribbles

Thank you Jean! I appreciate you stopping in to have a look!