ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Color Blending

Color Blending

What may be the most accurate form of color tinting over an image that will produce the closest if not accurate color tinting without altering the colors at all when painting over the normal layer below?

I would prefer no color alteration peroid. It seems to be thus far that TINT mode is the most accurate.

I'm not quite sure what you're looking for. If you want to overlay colour directly on top of the layer below without changing the colour your painting, use the 'normal' blend mode ( default ).

If you want to use the colour beneath to affect the colour you're applying, please let us know what result you're looking for and we should be able to advise further.

Moving this to the technical forum.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

I just want to use any color from the swatch while on the second layer using what ever type of blend mode i need on the same layer that is the most accurate in terms of the color i choose tinting the grey scale color on the first layer. I want to avoid any changes with highlighting or shadows, only keeping the color hues the same in the appropriate blend mode. I still gather that TINT is the best. Sorry, i should have been more clear.

Thanks for that, no problem at all. Tint / Multiply ( which have the same effect ) are generally the most useful for doing things like colouring over greyscale linework on a previous layer without changing the appearance of the lines. Tint / Multiply blend modes will still affect the appearance of colours beneath however, tending to darken them because of the way blend modes work.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

So why have both tint and multiply if they do the same thing? I have to ask. Also, i suppose there is no way to use the color blends to avoid the darkening then? If that is the case, then i can not rely on my colors being in there original state when doing such effects. It probably is no big deal as i can accept this if simply the software technology does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Al! View Post
    So why have both tint and multiply if they do the same thing? I have to ask.
    I believe it's a throwback from when they first introduced the blending modes that related to programs like Photoshop. I can't be sure, because I started using ArtRage when it was at 2.5, and it already had the features, but I recall someone saying that the Tint, Hightlight, and Shadow options were there, because they were easier terms for beginners to relate too. So, the idea was, where a person new to computer art might scratch there head when they saw "Linear Burn", and stray from trying it, they'd at least have a vague idea of what "Shadow" meant, and may have a go at experimenting with it.

Also, i suppose there is no way to use the color blends to avoid the darkening then?
    Have you tried not using a Blend Mode at all? There shouldn't be any color change, if you don't use any Blend Modes. If you need color to bleed through, you could lower the opacity of the layer.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Multiply mode will take the colour that you're painting on the top layer and multiply it with the colour of the layer underneath and thus result in a darker colour.

You could try 'Colour' mode as it changes the hue and saturation of the lower layer to the hue and saturation of the upper layer but leaves luminosity (value) alone.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Someonesane is correct regarding Tint and Multiply. We preset the basic blend modes in wording we feel is easier for new users to understand - Tint, Hightlight, Shadow. However, the standard terms are also available in the full list.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    Have you tried not using a Blend Mode at all? There shouldn't be any color change, if you don't use any Blend Modes. If you need color to bleed through, you could lower the opacity of the layer.
    I get all of the terms, i did not understand last night because i was to tired to grasp the subject matter. Brain was fried from the heat wave here.

The thing is i need to use the blend modes for what i need to do and even if i did lower the opacity of the layer, that will kill the color i want from the swatch in it's original form.

No worries though, i think that tint may be the answer for my projects. Thank you all for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Juz View Post
    Multiply mode will take the colour that you're painting on the top layer and multiply it with the colour of the layer underneath and thus result in a darker colour.

You could try 'Colour' mode as it changes the hue and saturation of the lower layer to the hue and saturation of the upper layer but leaves luminosity (value) alone.
    Got it.

Tried "color" mode but it detracts from the original color i want.