ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only a head

Only a head

I used a sculpture for ref for this one, Skylar might recognize it as it was from the WC Portraiture forum

A bit more colourful than the orig along with making her look a bit grumpy

Esential canvas grain for base then pumped up the effects for the headress and painted it with heavy oils, the face is less grain of eassential and done with watercolour
    Attached Images Attached Images  

jean ....... what a beautiful face and I love the dramatic red turban... very nice work!...

Cool. Yeah, she looks a little put out by someone. . . hope it ain't me.

Cause I would offer that the red of the turban is working against you in that it does not incorporate the tone of the paper as does the face. That's one of the beauties of working on toned paper, is that you let some of it influence that which is being painted. You don't have to necessarily let it come through cleanly (raw), although that would be good too if handled right. But as I see it, the red turban is not "in" that picture as much as it could be. You have good form to it and on that level it's successful. But the color could do with a lighter touch.

Otherwise, it's working great. The hardest part - the face - fits beautifully and it's fairly well constructed.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thanks Gary

and thank you also DA , I see what you mean , I started on a white b/g added the colour I wanted then on a new layer started the face not even thinking abouthow close the colours were and just doing hi lites and shadows to form the face using the b/g colour ... something new for me to try

Excellent portrait Jean, I love how you have painted the skin

Jean, I love the contrast with the red headress, you did a fantastic job on this

Jean, this is lovely! I like the soft smoky colors of the skin, and the dramatic color and interesting texture of the headress provides a nice contrast. It has a lot of visual appeal!

thank you Shelia, Sandy, Pat and Scribble your great comments are much appreciated and encouraging

You have painted the skin so very very well, well done Jean
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307