ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cat Watching a Bird

Cat Watching a Bird

Here is my latest pencil drawing. This is one that I have wanted to do for years. I started the outline sketch in 2006, and it sat in my to do pile for years. I finally pulled it out and dusted it off (literally), and decided to draw it in ArtRage. I'm glad I did; it was a lot of fun and a great learning experience.

I thought about adding a background, but decided that adding one would lessen the impact of the final drawing.

Hope you guys enjoy it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cat Watching a Bird.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	460.9 KB 
ID:	59287  

Thumbs up

This is wonderful , thanks for showing it to us , looking forward to more eye candy ,

Suuuuuuuuueeeeyy! That is somethin'. What tools did you use, and what method? Would be nice to understand a bit about how you got these results. Were you using a white pencil for some of it, or erasures? Also, the fur on the chest seems wonderfully soft-- were you working at a high res with a small brush, or did you use some other technique? Did you use blenders? etc etc

And yes, beyond all that Artrage stuff, there's clearly a sure hand behind the work. Fun to have you share.

Wow, thanks for the comments! I used just the pencil (on the soft tip setting) and eraser (on the hard edges preset), no blending (though I used the eraser lightly to soften and lighten some areas). To create the fur, I started by roughing in the areas first with heavy pencil pressure, to establish the direction of the fur and provide the background shading. Then I went back over it with the eraser on the smallest size and lightened it to the appropriate shade, and established the shape and highlights of the hair. Then it was just a matter of working back and forth between pencil and eraser to sculpt and texturize the fur.

The image was mostly drawn at 100% scale, though sometimes I zoomed out a bit to get a better overall view of the shading and shapes. I never zoomed in closer than 100%, but the dimensions of the original drawing are pretty large (1501 x 1904).

I'm still learning to draw fur; this was kind of an experiment since I am also learning the software. But I'm hooked on drawing cats now; I think my next drawing might be a cat too. This cat was so incredibly fun and challenging to draw!

And I'm glad to be here to share my work too, and to see all of the wonderful work that our other members have created! It's a lot of fun to be part of this community.

I just opened it full scale in another tab. Awesome!!! That's really very nicely done. I don't do much pencil work, so it's very cool to see it done so well, and in Artrage too.

Did you use a special canvas texture, or just the one they give you as the preset??

Let's see, I think I used the Tiny Grain paper. I wanted some grain to the paper, but not so much that it would be hard to create the tiny details that I wanted.

This is a brilliant sketch Scribbledsoul, I found myself staring intensely at it to see all the strokes of the fur and then at the eyes. Wonderful job
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Thank you, Alexandra and coops! You guys are very encouraging!

wow and puurrrrrfect
    Enchanter
    Draw what you see!....not what you think you see!!
    My artist friend

We Must each think of ourselves as an endless work in progress ....Harley Brown