ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Short film by Quentin Blake, Children’s book illustrator and author

Short film by Quentin Blake, Children’s book illustrator and author

One of my all-time favourite children’s book illustrators is Quentin Blake. Recently whilst looking to find out a bit more about his work and life, I discovered a short film on his website, where he gives an insight into how he goes about his creative work.

He uses traditional ink and watercolour, but it’s easy to see how ArtRage can be used (perhaps even more so with a Cintiq or iPad!) to achieve a similar, but digital workflow.

One thing that struck me watching the film, was the speed and consciousness of what he does – working ideas up from roughs, looking, thinking, evaluating and starting again if not happy. Also working standing up – I must try that sometime.

Anyway, if you are into his kind of thing and have a spare few minutes it’s definitely worth a look:

http://www.quentinblake.com/illustra...10minutes.html

Below is a quick attempt at the Enormous Crocodile
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Good planets are hard to find - help look after ours.

Thank you for sharing this. I thoroughly enjoyed watching this. splendid stuff.

thank you! so good to see him in action. I LOVE the colour of his water - against everything that's said about always having clean water on hand Love the breaking rules thing!

Great croc you drew too.

Oh, I love Quentin Blake! I wish I could produce that kind of sketchy, lively illustration. Thanks for the link.

PS Have you seen Satoshi Kitamura's stuff? Another master of the scratchy pen+watercolor aesthetic.
    Cat Boxes, a web comic

The link seems broken for me, but you can find it at

http://www.quentinblake.com/en/about-drawing/how-i-draw

and on youtube is the How I Draw film also:

http://youtu.be/qCHoUZHcK9Q

Thank you for sharing this again. I watched this back when it was first shared here. I had incidentally only heard of Quentin Blake a week or so before the post was originally made, and this was really my first introduction to him. I just loved this video, and have become a real fan of his work since. To watch it again made me smile. Watching him create is fun, and inspiring!

Brilliant. Articulate fellow. The Virgo in me is very envious of his organized studio. I'm afraid I'm rather the opposite with a thousand and one things going on at once -- and pay the price for the clutter.

It's a real smart move on the part of an illustrator to come up with a style that is very easy. You can cover a lot of ground. There are definitely story styles that this light and fresh look works very well with.

Very cool video. Thanks Jono. I really like your drawing.

And thanks screenpainter. Your link works.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Alway a smart idea to watch how someone else turns out work.

Denny