ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat Watching a Bird WIP

Cat Watching a Bird WIP

Here is a new pencil drawing that I am working on. It's one that I have wanted to do for years, and I have finally got around to working on it in ArtRage. I have my outline sketch on a separate layer from the drawing, which isn't showing in this image. I do plan to work on the fur some more. It isn't finished (there is some more texture improving and shape building that I want to do), but I want to complete the rest of the cat first before I add much more detail. I've not done much with fur before (though I have studied some techniques), so it's a great learning experience for me.

This cat is so much fun to draw, and the details of the eyes especially fascinate me. I never tire of looking at this picture; the expression on the cat's face captivates me. She looks like a hunter about to pounce. I can't wait to see it finished!

I will update this thread again when I have some more good progress to show. What do you guys think so far?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cat WIP.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	473.3 KB 
ID:	59229  
    Last edited by scribbledsoul; 08-22-2011 at 07:40 AM.

Here is another update before I go to sleep (and I stayed up way too late working on this hehe). I got the other eye and most of the nose down. It's slow going but interesting work. I'll work on it some more in the morning and post an update (after lots of coffee!).

I think the eyes and the pad of the nose will need some more smoothing later on, but I don't know yet. I'll wait to decide until more of the drawing is finished so I can see them in a better perspective.

Enjoy!

Name:	Cat WIP 2.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	375.9 KB 
ID:	59233  

keep on going!
    Enchanter
    Draw what you see!....not what you think you see!!
    My artist friend

We Must each think of ourselves as an endless work in progress ....Harley Brown

Excellent, I look forward to seeing the progression.
    Geoff

wow, I can't wait to see the finished drawing!
    great work

Thanks for the comments and encouragement! Here is another update. I think the face and muzzle are developing nicely.

Name:	Cat WIP 3.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	485.8 KB 
ID:	59250  

Another update. I'm not sure if I like the neck fur or not, but I guess I will see after I get some more done.

Name:	Cat WIP 4.jpg 
Size:	466.5 KB 
ID:	59277  

really excellent drawing skills. love the picture. love the look in her eyes. you can really see her attention being focused. look forward to the progression on this. not sure about the neck fur either. it seems to draw away from the stronger values of the previous image, but you will work it out.

Thanks! I lightened the neck some to make it stand out less. Did it help? I think so, and seeing more of the cat seems to make it all work better, at least to me.

Almost done! Then I will do some more work on the fur and final details, and add in the whiskers. I wonder if I should do a background?

Name:	Cat WIP 5.jpg 
Size:	462.5 KB 
ID:	59280  
    Last edited by scribbledsoul; 08-22-2011 at 01:09 PM.

yeah you really pulled it off beautifully. I should have had more faith... it is beyond excellent! the detail is just amazing. like I said before.. you got some great drawing skills there.