ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copic

Copic

I am trying to get a decent substitute for a Copic-like marker preset but these markers are very difficult to try and simulate. At the moment i have the setting for the marker tool as follows using the sketch paper canvas preset.

Pressure: 50%
    Softness: 0%
    Wetness: 50%
    Art Pen: Yes

What say the rest of you?

Here is a fine example of what Copic looks like on a sketch pad surface.

http://adamhughes.deviantart.com/#/d3arab9

What i am running into is this. I need to marker not only to be wet and blend wet but have a slightly soft textured edge squared shape and the wetness needs to be fine random dotty, where as the more the maker is layered onto itself the more the dottiness is filled in.

I'm no Adam Hughes, but I attempted to mimic the style of the image you linked to, by doing a study of the image using a technique I like for the Oil Brush. I think it comes pretty close to the style, but it doesn't really match the feel of a Copic. I explain a bit about how I use the tools in this thread, if you think it's worth your time.

Name:  AH - face - study.jpg
Views: 3820
Size:  36.8 KB
    Last edited by Someonesane; 08-21-2011 at 02:06 PM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

So you used an oil brush tool preset, interesting.

Not bad results. I was hoping to stick with the marker but if there is a way to do something similar using the oil tool, then why not. I think it may be a matter of the canvas as well. A certain canvas texture maybe the driving force here.

Hopefully someday the marker tools will have more copic-like results as well. In the meantime i am getting closer though.

here's my felt pen preset I love to use. a lot. also with watercolor.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by screenpainter; 09-09-2011 at 04:40 AM.

Thank you kindly. I will see what i can do with this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Someonesane View Post
    I'm no Adam Hughes, but I attempted to mimic the style of the image you linked to, by doing a study of the image using a technique I like for the Oil Brush. I think it comes pretty close to the style, but it doesn't really match the feel of a Copic. I explain a bit about how I use the tools in this thread, if you think it's worth your time.

Name:  AH - face - study.jpg
Views: 3820
Size:  36.8 KB
    How long did it take for you to paint this? You may be no Adam Hughes but the likeness is there for sure.

Total time was about an hour, give or take a few minutes. I had started to record it, using the script feature, but since I hadn't intended to really work on it as far as I did, I had stopped the recording when I got a phone call. When I sat back down, I decided to keep going, but didn't think to record the rest (which is really nothing more then my deciding to cover the unfinished eye with more hair then original work had, and the stars). I didn't sketch the image by eye, either. Since I felt it was more of a study on how to mimic the painting aspect of it, I just loosely traced the original sketch.

Here's a link to a video of what I did record of the process:

http://youtu.be/D_LWqW3DSqg
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

I have recently been learning to cartoon in a Manga/Copic style and have also become quite frustrated trying to emulate the look and feel of Copic in ArtRage.

Apparently they are an alcohol based marker that take up to seven strokes to achieve full colour density in real life and are designed to be blended.

Copic themselves have a free trial edition of SketchBook which includes 70 or so colours and is supposed to work just like the real thing. I'm going to give it a try (URL in case anyone wants to look for purposes maybe of implementing it into AR? *grins* http://copic.jp/sketchbook-ce.html )

I'll find a way of doing this in ArtRage sometime over the next few months, but it would be nice to be able to follow along with the many, many Copic tutorials that exist out there using the 'digital' version of their markers.

Pretty please? Next AR update?

Quote Originally Posted by Teriodin View Post
    I have recently been learning to cartoon in a Manga/Copic style and have also become quite frustrated trying to emulate the look and feel of Copic in ArtRage.

Apparently they are an alcohol based marker that take up to seven strokes to achieve full colour density in real life and are designed to be blended.

Copic themselves have a free trial edition of SketchBook which includes 70 or so colours and is supposed to work just like the real thing. I'm going to give it a try (URL in case anyone wants to look for purposes maybe of implementing it into AR? *grins* http://copic.jp/sketchbook-ce.html )

I'll find a way of doing this in ArtRage sometime over the next few months, but it would be nice to be able to follow along with the many, many Copic tutorials that exist out there using the 'digital' version of their markers.

Pretty please? Next AR update?
    I tried tha Copic Edition of Sketchbook but without a way to have the marker strokes show up on a textured surface like sketch paper, there is no way to get good results. They have the colors covered and the wetness with the layered strokes but that is all. It has been attempted in Photoshop to some degree and no good attempt in Painter that i am aware of. Indeed, Art Rage does need to dedicated Copic-like marker emulation. It lacks in certain areas of which i can not place at the moment. Rather technical.