ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Fruit bowl painted in Acrylics - wip

Fruit bowl painted in Acrylics - wip

This is a painting i started last year and need to finish. I am not happy with the background - It needs something to break up the blue, perhaps a delicate lacy curtain. The table is also very wobbly and the fruit bowl needs filling up.
    Maybe I should have posted this in the critique forum?
    Any advice will be appreciated thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I paint with acrylics too, want2. I like your colours. Have you tried doing this pic in artrage?

I would make the background an abstract variable purplish hue to complement the yellow of the banana. Unless you want it to be that way I would make the bottom of the bowl more rounded like the top. presently it's flat.
    There might be more things of course but you are in the early stages I presume and will most likely refine this as you go along.
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes

Nice to see you posting again Want2paint and interested to see this one finished.
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Nice process.

"Composition" is what you're talking about when you are looking to populate a picture with stuff. I think a good way of getting your mind thinking in these terms is to crop photographs you have at hand in various ways as an experiment. You could do it on the computer too. Cover up a portion as if the shape of the canvas were different, and zoom in and out and left and right until you find you've filled the picture in a satisfying way. The variations are infinite. But use other people's pictures too. And also it helps to look at examples of how professionals fill their canvas. Images are everywhere so it should be easy to look around at how different artists and photographers depict things.

As a working process, it's usually not preferred to add elements as a way to fix a picture when doing the kind of still life set up that you are. I mean it can be done, but it's better to be happy with it before time.

Plus, when you get more experienced, you can also do lots with light and shadow and paint strokes and so forth as a way to fill space, not just with objects.

So I recommend that you think in terms of shapes and filling the picture in interesting ways. You might be amazed at how little subject one needs to make a very full picture.

ArtRage is a very good way to play with composition. Plus it doesn't cost anything to experiment -- something I am always happy about. I do enjoy painting in the real world too.

Nice to see your thinking process as you paint. I look forward to seeing more and more.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thank you Hildee, Jibes, Coops and D'Akey I may experiment in ArtRage and photoshop
    I do have a new photo of the painting as it looks at the moment (the additions were also added months ago). I had the idea to add the apple to the foreground when the canvas was propped up on a side cabinet and someone inadvertantly left a luminous yellow tennis ball in front of the painting! I am not happy about the squashed tangerine though! It needs to be lower inside the bowl.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03373.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	341.0 KB 
ID:	59362  

I like it! There is a fun style and good use of color here. And the squashed tangerine gives it character hehe. I think it's developing nicely.

Looks good with great colours

Thank you scribbledsoul and justjean I haven't had time to experiment with it in ArtRage yet.