ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter in the woods

Winter in the woods

Took about an hour. Started with a Ref for the rough in.
    I didn't use the color picker at any time on this one. What I mean is I normally will capture color from some area I have painted and use it to refine the area I have already painted or use it to get close to a color I need. I thought 'a traditional painter doesn't do that' and so I reasoned that if I didn't then it would be good training to do it the old fashion way! I'm not saying I will never use the picker again or that it's wrong to use it. It's just that if I didn't I could get close to what I want but would add some color variety this way. I never have used the picker on a Ref Photo except when I first started painting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winter in the woods.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	229.9 KB 
ID:	59150  
    Last edited by jibes; 08-19-2011 at 03:15 PM.
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes

Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great Great! Al

So substantial, but airy and winter magic shines throughout the whole scene.

Bravo, bravissimo, wunderbar, herrlich,oustanding. Love this pic,jibes. Good you didn't pick, this wouldn't be so gorgeous if you didn't put to work your imagination.

Beautiful winter colours, love your confident brush strokes. Such a great painting!

Wonderful painting good work
    Visit my website here

Stunning good, cold woods.

Neal... this is a really nice effort... the line energy and verticals and the softness of the snow against the flat blue sky.. I also like the grainy texture like pastels mixed with the flat color of oils... works well. As far as using /not using the color picker I think is more a matter of convenience. If you pick from a reference photo then your colors in the painting will be weak since painting colors are much more saturated. I use it to pick out color areas in my abstracts sometimes to set the tint and tonal level and then move to other areas (hue or tone ) to keep things consistant.. but as AT-TA implies better to train your eye and imagination ( painterly sense on what make for an interesting and strong painting )....

Oh!!! I love the colors! So beautiful, I can almost feel the chill...

Excellent winter scene.