ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Change default canvas size

Change default canvas size

Is it possible to change the default canvas size to... let's say... A4 landscape 300dpi?

As a default ArtRage 3.5.1 takes the 1920 x 1200 px of my iMac at 72 dpi. I don't like that... I'm now changing the size manually every time I startup ArtRage I would like it to be high resolution at startup.

Hmmm... There's a way to save the canvas type, but I'm not sure if there is a way to make is keep a certain canvas size. There are a couple of things you could do, though. One is saving the size settings as a preset, on the New Painting panel. This would mean, you'd just have to select the preset to get the settings to set themselves. The second option, is to create a painting at the size you'd like, using the canvas type you'd like, then saving that painting (like any other painting, but without having painted anything on it). As long as use that blank painting as your ArtRage programs "shortcut" icon, ArtRage will open the program with that painting for you to work on. Just remember to save it as a copy after you paint on it.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Thanks for the reply

I already made a canvas preset for it. Actually it works fine. I just have to remember to hit the command-N instead of drawing right away at the blanc default canvas that has my screen-size

Thanks again!

Lausanne, Switzerland and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Lightbulb

I would really love to have a solution for this, even if it was a hack modifying some file in the executable or whatever. While I am very tech savvy myself (I am programmer) I think it would be essential to be able to setup working default for other types of artists.

I just don't get why this option isn't there in the preferences. The artrage dev team should really consider some options to have defaults work for artists who suck at computers :

- Allow defining a default size (as discussed here)
    - Offer a few non-screen formats in the presets by default (e.g A5, A4, A3 at 300dpi).
    - Define a default save folder (could be in dropbox) and allow saving only in there.
    - Optional Simplified load / save panel (only shows default folder and thumbnails).

I would also love being able to define a default canvas size, as now I always have to change it manually ...but the comments above (creating a new blank painting and use that as a standard) have been helpful

I'm also missing the possibility of opening & working on two paintings at the same time ...(or maybe this is possible and I don't know how to do it ??)

...and maybe ...the possibility to select several layers without having to make a group first ...

there's actually a couple of things that could make Artrage even better ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Sensiwoman View Post
    I would also love being able to define a default canvas size, as now I always have to change it manually ...but the comments above (creating a new blank painting and use that as a standard) have been helpful
    I'm not quite clear if all of you guys are talking about this option or not, so I'm just going to point it out anyway.

If you either create a new canvas or edit the current canvas size, you should get this screen. You can add your own presets here (e.g. "2000 Square" is mine - I have more on an old computer).

Name:  default canvas presets.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  64.1 KB

I'm also missing the possibility of opening & working on two paintings at the same time ...(or maybe this is possible and I don't know how to do it ??)
    Entirely possible! If you're working on the desktop version, you can open as many paintings as you like.

...and maybe ...the possibility to select several layers without having to make a group first ...
    Not currently possibe (though I agree, that would be handy).
    Ambient Design Tech Support & Community Manager

This is not my signature.

Go forth and read the tutorials. Also, check out the featured artists!

Hi Hannah,
    I almost hesitate to write this but at least as far as the Mac version of AR is concerned, once AR is running you can only have one painting open at a time. (Unless this is something that has been changed in the forthcoming AR4 update?)

Currently the only way around this is to start another instance of AR, however Mac OSX will not allow the user to launch another instance of an app if it sees the app in question is already running.
    To get round this it is necessary to use some form of command line or better still Applescript/Applet to get the OS to launch another instance of the desired app.

If others are interested, the Applet and the script it is made from, that I use to do this can be found here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...i-ArtRage4.zip
    Maker Of Replica Macoys

Techie Stuff:
    ArtRage 5.0.5 ~ 15" Macbook Pro
    + 22" HD Monitor ~ macOS 10.12.6 ~ 4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU ~ 16GB RAM ~ Wacom Intuos4 M and a Spyder4Pro (to keep the colours true!)

Quote Originally Posted by markw View Post
    Hi Hannah,
    I almost hesitate to write this but at least as far as the Mac version of AR is concerned, once AR is running you can only have one painting open at a time. (Unless this is something that has been changed in the forthcoming AR4 update?)

Currently the only way around this is to start another instance of AR, however Mac OSX will not allow the user to launch another instance of an app if it sees the app in question is already running.
    To get round this it is necessary to use some form of command line or better still Applescript/Applet to get the OS to launch another instance of the desired app.

If others are interested, the Applet and the script it is made from, that I use to do this can be found here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...i-ArtRage4.zip
    Please don't hesitate! I tend to forget about the Macs, as it's not my main computer. I just checked, you're completely right, and there is another way around this - copy the app itself.

Right click > duplicate > run a new instance from the copy.

Important disclaimer I'm not a programmer, and I'll need to check with one of them whether this will cause any interesting explosions further down the line. Macs are designed around only a single instance being open. However, ArtRage has no built in limitations around running multiple versions, so as long as you can get around the platform limitations it will probably be okay.

The main things that you should be aware of are:
    - if you create a copy, and update, you will need to create an updated copy as well
    - if you change preferences in one copy, it probably won't 'stick' if you still have another copy open (i.e. the last one to close will overwrite any changes from the other one).

I've written a script to start Artrage with a custom resolution. You can download it the Art Supplies Section http://forums.artrage.com/showthread...Script-Belvrog

A short description is also there. It starts up Artrage with a custom set resolution and a "new" file. Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by HannahRage View Post
    Important disclaimer I'm not a programmer, and I'll need to check with one of them whether this will cause any interesting explosions further down the line. Macs are designed around only a single instance being open. However, ArtRage has no built in limitations around running multiple versions, so as long as you can get around the platform limitations it will probably be okay.

The main things that you should be aware of are:
    - if you create a copy, and update, you will need to create an updated copy as well
    - if you change preferences in one copy, it probably won't 'stick' if you still have another copy open (i.e. the last one to close will overwrite any changes from the other one).

A more official update:

Okay, basically what I said before. We haven't officially tested running duplicate instances of ArtRage on a Mac, so we can't guarantee anything. However, the main issue would be with file ownership.

It looks like it will work similarly to Windows, where it's basically the same program with the same history, so changes made and files opened in one instance will also be remembered or overwritten by the other. A hivemind, essentially If you do mess it up completely you may need to reinstall the program.

So it's unlikely to blow up your computer, but it's also not something we can promise is completely safe.