ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: A "standard" brush?

A "standard" brush?

Hi:

I'm new to Artrage, so I might have missed it somewhere.

Is there a "standard" brush like a soft round in photoshop? You need to make it in stickers right?
    I've tried to export a soft round from photoshop and making a sticker with it, but it doesn't behave like I want (yes I made it red and such like the tutorial for stickers say). When selecting a color, it paints with a much lighter color no matter how I change settings.

And - it would be nice to have a transparency setting that was quick to change for each brush (instead of going into settings each time), I change that all the time when I work in in photoshop.

I love some of the features in Artrage, but there's just so many photoshop things that I find hard to be without...

Stig

Quote Originally Posted by stigbn View Post
    Is there a "standard" brush like a soft round in photoshop? You need to make it in stickers right?
    I've tried to export a soft round from photoshop and making a sticker with it, but it doesn't behave like I want (yes I made it red and such like the tutorial for stickers say). When selecting a color, it paints with a much lighter color no matter how I change settings.
    Hi Stigbn, welcome to the forums

There isn't a soft round brush like the one in photoshop as a default brush, so yes if you are especially wanting that brush it will need to be a stickerbrush.

As an update to version 3x and in 3.5 Ambient gave us the ability to just import a .abr file to use in artrage.
    Select the stickerbrush
    From the settings menu choose import photoshop brush (see attached image)

This should give you better results with artrage tracking colour and is easier than having to adjust you colour profiles in photoshop so that its using the system colour as Artrage does if your original in photoshop was made as the exact red needed (255,0,0).

You will still need to go to the variations and setup the brush to act as you want.

If you're wanting the ability to adjust transparancy as you work then the default 'oil brush' is a good option as you can adjust the thinners amount to the oil in the settings dialog as you work.

There is currently no way to adjust transparency 'on the fly' for any stickerbrush so you may want to add a request to the 'suggestions' section.

If your heart is set on the soft round PSD brush, the best way to work for now would be to make yourself a set of presets for the stickerbrush that had varied alpha (10%, 20%, etc)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Juz; 08-17-2011 at 02:01 AM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Thank you!

I found out that the brush I had made was too soft - it was not 100% opaque anywhere, so that's why i didn't get the colour I wanted. And I didn't know you could define a brush in photoshop in a color. In CS3 which I have, brushes have no "color" as such, but it seems that if I define the brush in photoshop in red and export it, Artrage understands that it it red, even though it's greayed out in photoshop's brushes...

So now it works like I wanted it!

And yes, I know that a transparency option outside of settings is something to wish for in the next version.

And also, I know that oil paint have the thinner-option, but the oilbrushes doesn't really behave like I want (for example, I want them to have a soft edge) when I quickly block out shapes and colors.

Stig

Glad you got it working

If you're using the 'import photoshop brush' option you dont actually have to make them red in photoshop, you can bring them in as the default black and they will track colour fine in Artrage.
    Last edited by Juz; 08-17-2011 at 02:31 AM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Ok, so that's why it worked - when I did it the first time the color didn't seem to track, I must have done something wrong, anyway it works perfect now.

Thanks for the instructions! Got it working too