ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last One

Last One

This is probably the last chair in the series...time to move on...hope you enjoy this one. C&C always welcome
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

Exquisite green fabric, good work!
    If I were marooned on a desert island, please air drop me a copy of Artrage 5.0! (Plus a laptop and solar panel)

Beautiful texture and lighting, well done!

steve... OH NO!...not the last one surely... this is an excellent image.. the painting on the walls , shades of green are equisite!.... just a couple more maybe later after you've done something else

Pretty nice. Your use of color is better to be sure. The color of the chair comes forward away from the wall and that's great. The shape relations are pretty good. I think for the most part the structure is sound.

There are so many balls that artists juggle at one time that when we are focused on some parts of the pic, others might get missed. And that's perfectly fine because they will then make themselves known as a place to pay attention to. So my bringing them to your attention is not so much a criticism, but an observation of the natural unveiling of what's in a pic of this kind.

Lighting a structural detail kind of goes hand in hand because one says what the shape is, and lighting helps to describe the quality of the shape. In the chair, the legs are either supposed to be round or squared and angular. The way you have them is that they are sharp edged between the light and shadow which suggests an angularity. If angular, then it's likely the forms would have to follow a perspective and the faces parallel within that context. So the line of light meeting shadow would be roughly in the same place. If they are rounded, the lighting would still be relative to each other, but the line between light and shadow would probably be softened.

The shadow you are casting makes the light source to be coming from the wall at a somewhat lower angle than the ceiling and there's no light source visible. It would make more sense to invent a light source coming from somewhere in the room off camera to our left.

A good starting point when doing a realistic room or form is to establish in your mind lighting and perspective and keep it consistent, at least until you know why you would cheat it for an effect. And then when you come to applying the paint, you will check it off in your head as part of painting it -- e.g., the plane of the floor goes like so, and the lighting is coming from here at thus and such an angle, so the shadow would extend this far, and have this kind of textural quality depending on wood or carpet or dirt or what have you. Each of those would give it a different handling. But knowing the structure of the form and the lighting would then simplify the task to merely that of representing a surface quality.

The good news is once you have done it a couple times and see how it works, you will develop your own shorthand for all that and only really wheel it out in a show stopping way when something looks wrong to you. Your instincts will take over, a little like a piano player playing music rather than having to think about where the keys are.

But this painting is really a good jump forward and the chair was a good series and yielded much.

Well done indeed! Great progress.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Another great chair Steve!
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes

Good comfortable chair.

Work that creates beauty out of the mundane I tend to enjoy and so have really liked your chair series. Looking forward to seeing where your next painting adventure takes you
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

I was going to comment about the light source, but D'Akey covered it. I love the texture and detail you have going on here, especially on the back of the chair. I've seen (and sat in) chairs just like that one. I think my grandparents have one floating around somewhere.
    Early to bed early to rise makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes - Orson Scott Card