ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: recording script - bug

Question recording script - bug

heya

I was recording a script (just for fun) while painting, and everything went well until I saved, then played the script to watch me paint
    I noticed that it kept showing a layer which I definitely deleted while recording ...

sadly I don't recall what I did before deleting the layer - changing blend modes would be my guess.

when you take a look at the script - the layer I deleted is the one created at 37%, brown-ish orange paint roller thingie which I got rid of very quickly ... in fact, I focused on clouds after deleting this layer, but sadly when looking at the scripted painting the clouds and all new layers I work on are hidden behind the layer which I deleted previously

attached some screenshots ...
    #1 ~ how the saved painting looks when I open it in ArtRage (of course not showing the brown-orange layer, which I deleted while recording the script)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	110813_watercolour script painting.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	255.8 KB 
ID:	58944

#2 ~ how the painting looks after playing the script - the brown-orange layer is visible. note that in my signature the dot of the letter j is not visible, compare with #1 (signature = Anj ... with dot).
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	110813_watercolour script painting_deleted layer.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	231.8 KB 
ID:	58945

#3 ~ how the painting looks after playing the script and manually hiding the brown-orange layer - that's what it should look like after playing the script Click image for larger version. 

Name:	110813_watercolour script painting_invisible deleted layer.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	239.5 KB 
ID:	58946

and here is the link for the script --> click

thanks

The AR team will have to explain what's going on, and why it happened, but I took a look at the script, and found that if you remove line 20620 of the script, the deleted layer remains deleted. The script on line 20620 is an undo call, which apparently brings the layer back. Why it's there (if you didn't undo at that moment) might be the mystery. If you'd like, I can post an edited version of your script, commenting out the entire block of script that contains everything from the creation of that layer, to it's deletion. Upon playback, it'd be as if you never took those steps to begin with.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Smile

wow! Someonesane to the rescue
    thanks for taking a look at the script!

I must admit, I was too lazy too take a look at the code myself - the script recording was just for fun, and I don't *need* this script to be accurate - I was just wondering why the script didn't show the same results as the final painting (there was nothing special happening while I was painting + recording, I didn't stop/pause the script as far as I remember, and perhaps I wouldn't have noticed the mistake if the layer I deleted wasn't one of those "things" you remember getting rid of very quickly because they just don't look good .

would be great if you could post your edited version of the script so I can take a look at what you changed, and compare to the original script .. hopefully I'll be able to figure out things on my own in the future if such mistakes continue to happen

thank you!

Hi,

I've uploaded the file to my DropBox account. You can download it here (edit - file removed for space saving in my dropbox). Let me know when you've got it, and I'll take it down.

If you look at the script, use your text editors "Find" feature to search for the "/*" and "*/" marks. It comments out where the layer was created, to where it was deleted, or rather, to where it's brought back with the mystery "undo".

Name:  troublemaker.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  54.8 KB
    Last edited by Someonesane; 08-14-2011 at 03:54 PM.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

Smile

got it!
    thank you, I'll have a look at your script tomorrow morning (uhm ... I just noticed it's already morning here in Germany so it's past bedtime for me)