ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Tablet PC or Graphics Tablet?

Tablet PC or Graphics Tablet?

My Genius Graphics Tablet is giving me loads of problems with not working properly. The pen just isn't as smooth as it used to be and it's often really jittery which makes anything I do feel like a chore instead of fun. I've tried everything from changing the battery in the pen to messing around with the sensitivity settings in ArtRage Pro to no avail. I think it's time for a new one.

I was looking at this Wacom tablet http://www.cclonline.com/product/231...ablet/ACC0121/ but then noticed that for less than an extra 100 I can get this Tablet PC http://www.cclonline.com/product/571...et-PC/NOT0655/

Needless to say, I'm tempted, but I don't want to spend 450 on a tablet PC if ArtRage won't work well on it. Any ideas how well it will work? The PC has a touch screen - will artrage pro work with it? If not, then I'm better off getting the Wacom.

Notice that the acer haven't got pen, good digitizer or even windows :| (that mean photoshop, artrage and others....)

Get intuos.

The acer does have Windows - windows 7 32 bit. No stylus/pen, but it is touch screen. If Artrage pro works with a touch screen, then it would be perfect for my uses (being able to draw on the go)

I might go with other tablet pc's personally, but in general, as a art making device, I love mine. Artrage works great on one. I would make sure it uses a stylus is all. There are great forums out there for tablet pc users and those who want to buy one. I'd check there and ask for more advice. If being mobile is important to you for your art device, I think it'd be worth it. Again, I love my Lenovo x200t. If you think you'd be just as happy drawing at a desk, I'd get an intuos on a more powerful desktop and a bigger screen for the same (or less) money though.

Thanks, Steve. I've done some searching and learned that the tablet PC I'm looking at does indeed allow the use of a capacitive stylus. I've now gone from very tempted to extremely tempted. The only thing that worries me is the Acer just meets the requirementsfor the CPU speed (1GHz) for ArtRage Pro. If I do get the Acer, I may just get ArtRage 2 for it instead of Pro. Or use Pro but keep my drawings to one or two layers.

Muir,
    Be careful with the Acer. Looking it up, you're right that it has a Capacitive touchscreen. This means it's like an Ipad, where you can use your finger. If that's the experience you're looking for, then good news. IMO though, if you are looking to compare the accurate art-making experience of a Wacom tablet (like the pen-tip accurate Intuos you were thinking of using) to using a capacitive finger-only input screen, the Wacom will win hands down. The Wacom is not only more accurate but also is pressure sensitive, allowing for varied line width, etc.

There are lots of other Tablet PC's available though. Particularly used or refurbished on ebay. The lenovo x200t, the Hp 2730p, the Fujitsu 5010, plus other models like them can be purchased here in the US off of ebay for 500-750$ US. All of these have a Wacom resistive digitizer with 256 levels of pressure sensitivity and a pen-point accurate stylus. The also DON'T have finger-input capability, if that's important to you.

Obviously lots of people use the Ipad for art, but since it looked like you were thinking of getting an Intuos, that made me think you might be wanting something comparatively accurate and pressure sensitive. If that's not the case, I think the Acer would be fine. If you are looking for something pseudo-similar to an Intuos but very portable, then, to me, the Acer probably isn't as good a choice as other models.

Honestly though, I'm not quite sure yet what it is that you're really wanting.

Hi Muir
    When considering a tabletPC for drawing it is very important that you check that it has an 'Active Digitizer' because:-
    a) it allows for proper tracking of the stylus needed for accuracy with drawing/handwriting
    b) it supports pressure sensitivity

If a tablet contains an active digitizer it will usually advertise as 'wacom pen enabled'.

A capacitive digitizer is the type of touchscreen used on smartphones. It's primarily made for touch on/off registration and the capacitive stylus that is used with these devices basically fools the screen into thinking its getting touched by a finger. The problems with this sort of device for drawing are:-
    a) no pressure sensitivity support
    b) they dont track the stylus well, the sample rate of the movement doesn't keep up with the stylus. Curves you draw will often end up with squarish segments rather than smooth curves.

Some modern tabletPC's offer dual digitizers; both active for pressure sensitivity and accurate stylus tracking, as well capacitive for touch capability.

More information on touchscreens here: http://gigaom.com/mobile/touchscreen-tablets/

The Acer you are looking at has a multi-touch capacitive digitizer. Which means it can support gestures of more than one finger on the screen at a time eg/ for pinch to zoom. Looking at the specs, this machine is basically a netbook with touch capability and so it is far from an ideal solution for drawing in Artrage.

The intuos 4 you are looking at is an active digitizer device and is aimed toward professional artists. Wacom Intuos4 and Cintiq are the best drawing tablets currently available. It's extremely accurate, offers a huge range of pressure sensitivity and will provide a far superior drawing experience than any capacitive digitizer.

With the leftover money you can always upgrade your RAM
    Last edited by Juz; 08-16-2011 at 04:47 PM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)