ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Secret Chord

A Secret Chord

Tribute to an incredible mind-Leonard Cohen.
    Made with photo references, using masking tools, glitter, paint, and knife.
    Just play time with ArtRage for an example of what can be done with a photograph.
    Some artists will use a projector after printing off digital art and apply to walls or canvas.
    Anyway, I hope you enjoy it, and thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Sandy.... I really like this... not only because of the tribute but the great image based on a photograph... which is one of the reasons I even got interested in digital photography and photoshop.. which was not to make photos but to use this as a basis to push them into the realm of an artistic statement which is what you have done here... congrats on this! really fine work...

Great singer, great songwriter and great painting Sandy
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Wow! It is just too exciting to see what you can do with Art Rage.

There's a blaze of Light in every word. . . (and every painting)

I have to admit this song is iconic to me. Cohen is such a contrast. And this lyric is the high point for me in his songwriting. It's transcendent.

Your picture is intriguing, especially in the context of these lyrics. To me part of the song is about celebrating the brilliance and perfection of human life that is subject to human frailty and corruption. The good and the bad, the highs and the lows being part of the whole song. Cohen chooses his Art of choice, Music, to express this.

Whatever your intentions were with this visual pic, for me it takes on that character of contrast in that the portrait quality is lessened because it isn't all that clear who it is from the appearance, but with that title, it feels very potent thematically and I see it as perfect on that level. Very valid approach, and something of a lead in to the wonder of abstraction and realism working together to create something unique and potentially far deeper.

Granted, it's a rarefied realm and not for everybody. And not everyone is going to relate at the same level. But that's the fascination of it. Realism by itself tends to be very up front and literal (with exceptions of course).

Very interesting image, Alexandra.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Hi Gary, I too for the same reasons. I feel more relaxed and better able to express myself digitally. Thanks very much.

Thanks dearest Katie!

I agree Bobbi, and I keep finding more and more things to do with it. Thanks!

D Akey, this singer songwriter introduced to me via the internet by a much loved member of AR had such an impact on me. I listened to this particular song Hallelujah and I was so taken-completely. I agree, and hesitated uploading this-his image deserves much better, but my heart was in this in relation to his way of writing; for example some would understand and see his meaning clearly, as I see his beautiful face with this. I think he goes above and beyond with his writing, and has a secret chord.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post

. . .this singer songwriter introduced to me via the internet by a much loved member of AR had such an impact on me.
    Yeah, me too. I knew of Leonard Cohen but not Hallelujah until I saw a link Peter Pinckney put into General Chat a couple years back. No idea how to find that thread again. But it started me on a Leonard Cohen odyssey. And I resonate with only some of his work. This song is far and away the stand out for me. Others I can admire his cleverness, while yet others resonate almost not at all for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post

. . .I listened to this particular song Hallelujah and I was so taken-completely. I agree, and hesitated uploading this-his image deserves much better, but my heart was in this in relation to his way of writing; for example some would understand and see his meaning clearly, as I see his beautiful face with this. I think he goes above and beyond with his writing, and has a secret chord.
    Thanks!
    Nicely put. Operative words: "goes beyond"

I've done my best
    It wasn't much
    I couldn't feel
    So I tried to touch
    I've told the truth
    I didn't come to fool ya.

But even though it all went wrong
    I'll stand before the Lord of Song
    With nothing on my tongue
    but "Hallelujah".

In the grand scheme of things it never is perfect. But it's the the consistent intention to aspire to it, therein lies the inner Art. And that comes out however it may, and the artistry in that is hard to evaluate from the outside, IMHO.
    Last edited by D Akey; 08-14-2011 at 07:48 AM.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

This seems to be a step away from what you usually do. I really like your willingness to experiment with your creative expression...great painting Sandy
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

Thanks a bunch Steve I appreciate your kind comment. I've enjoyed working with the enhancements and effects.

I prefer the version of "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley (listen live) ... one of my alltime favourite songs <3

great tribute to Leonard Cohen, Alexandra ~ I like your painting a lot, well done!