ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Import PSD files

Import PSD files

Hello,
    i just noticed that, when you drag a PSD file into AR Studio Pro 3.5.1 - there is a huge delay before the message with the import options pops up. In the previous version it was instantly, now i have to wait like 2 minutes, and even the program goes "Not responding" for while. PSD is 2 layers file, A4 - the usual size i work with, so nothing fancy. It happends on 2 PC's - here at work and at home, both running Win7 64bit, almost similar configurations.
    Any suggestions?
    "I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!"

I'm not seeing the problem here, could you let me know the pixel size of the image (not that that should make a difference to the import options panel but I want to make sure that I'm replicating the situation properly).

The only thing I can think of that might do it would be a virus scanner. The app doesn't read the contents of your file before it displays the import options panel, so in theory it should be fairly immediate. If you have a virus scanner perhaps it's scanning the file before opening?
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Hi Matt, i have anti-virus software on one of the PCs, the other one doesn't have one. So guess this is not the issue. Just made a test on my home PC /no anti-virus here/, here is the results:
    1. PSD file, 4.65Mb, size 660x917 - 300dpi - file opened in ~8 seconds.
    2. PSD file, 296Mb, size 2480x3508 - 300dpi - file opened in ~12 minutes, as AR went "Not responding" for a while. In Photoshop, this same file opens in ~4 seconds.
    "I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!"

I usually don't open .psd files in ArtRage (because I don't spend time anymore doing things in Photoshop ). I tried this with a small .psd file (1,8 MB) and a larger one (~ 10 MB) and the large one took significantly longer to get ArtRage 3.5.1 to show the "what do you want to do?"-window.

WinXP SP3, no firewall or active antivirus software.

I work in PSD files all the time in Artrage, and they have been working great for me. I just tried opening one up to test it-

-12" x 18" 200 dpi, 130 MB

It took 37 seconds. Not super fast, not suuuuuuper slow. I would think Photoshop might be faster since it's 64bit compatible, multi-core, blah blah blah.... built to open psd's perhaps. Whatever the case, I wasn't getting 12 minute lag times, though it was a little bit slow.

My laptop is a core2duo 1.86 ghz, 4 gb ram. Not super powerful, but not particularly sluggish either.

I wonder what the problem is? ???

I don't know either - seems like AR will be my home painting software, as i can't afford such times for importing files at work

Okay, I think I have found the problem and it should be fixed in 3.5.2, it related to package file checking.
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Thanks Matt, appreciated!

Problems with PSD exchange

Hello,

I have just started using ArtRage 3.0.8.

When i export the PSD file to Photoshop CS5 it seems to loose information, it gets darker and when I change to 32 bit it works out. Doesn't it work with 8 or 16 bit? Sorry if this is too basic.

Then when I save a PSD even without changing anything in CS5 - as a 32 bit - I try to reopen in ArtRage and it gives me an error message. Could someone help me? I really need to make this workflow work out and as I really liked watercolors features, I want to make it.

Thanks

I would recommend updating to the latest version of ArtRage 3.5.2 as it looks like you're running an old version. The new version contains substantial improvements. You can create an account at http://members.artrage.com and register your serial number if you have not done this already in order to download the latest version.

If colours change when you export an PSD then open it in Photoshop, this will be due to colour management being applied to the image in Photoshop. If you turn off colour management for that document in Photoshop you should see the same result as in ArtRage.

ArtRage can import and export standard RGB ( 8-bit per channel ) PSD files. I hope that helps.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design