ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Abstract Watercolor 2

Abstract Watercolor 2

Thought I'd try this out again. I've been exploring the use of stencils and texture layers. Just exploring the tools without needing to "stay in the lines". Somehow this seems to come out kinda interesting to me, but I haven't really been able to apply it yet to an actual painting with form..... >:P I've been rather dissatisfied with with my "leaf with droplet" paintings in the crit section.

Of course, I'm happy to get criticisms here too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Watercolor Abstract2.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	58832  
    Last edited by Steve B; 08-11-2011 at 03:16 AM.

this looks awesome!!
    who cares about "staying in the lines"?

did you think about saving this painting and using it as a grain or canvas for further explorations? you could even use it as a background layer to enhance other watercolour paintings, trying different blend modes ... using just some parts of it ... or using a filter ... the possibilities are endless

I like it

Those are really interesting ideas. I had never thought of using it as a canvas texture, or of using parts of it for textures or stencils itself.

Or altering the blend modes and then saving different versions..... that's really intriguing, and sort of what I like about digital media. It's not just about duplicating natural media, but about a discovery and exploration in its own way.

Cool thoughts!! I approve. ::thumbs up::

Beautiful results from sandbox play here Sreve.

I totally agree that AR watercolour is its own unique medium and am having a lot of fun with exploration and discovery in this new and exciting medium.

Like with any new medium the more pieces like this one that you produce, the more possibilities for the media you discover and the easier it becomes to dictate to the medium to do what you want.

The trick is to enjoy the journey and not fixate on the destination.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

It is as if watching a microbial ballet.

Whatever you have going is very cool. I could see it being used for subjective painting as well. Perhaps the trick to using it in such a context would be working with shapes in a loose way. It's a rather liquid feel, and so you might use it with something you would want to apply that description to.

Think of it as a modifier like an adjective, whether in an expected context or surprising as a way to see what that conjures up.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I was talking with my wife about these experiments I've been doing (I posted another one last month with a similar title), and we were also wondering what ways one might "apply" the methodology. It's not that I feel a need to make these things into something representational in order to enjoy them-- I really love the exploratory process of building something without really knowing what it is, but... BUT I also enjoy making paintings with subjects in them, and I feel like those painting could really benefit from some of this very loose watercolor feel. Last month, I posted a pic "I like to make big splashes too", which is very representational-- for a kid's book mockup-- and I thought it was successful. I don't need these drawings to be that way, but I think there might be value in mixing the two methods.

Part of me liked the idea of making some of these paintings and then sort of "carving" subject matter out of them post facto. Almost like I was making driftwood in these paintings, and then, perhaps later, I could take them and "find" the subject matter in them if I wanted to, changing and molding the painting a bit to draw those things out.

I also thought it might help if I brought in a sketch into artrage and then let that subject matter guide me a bit, as an experiment. Basically, to let the watercolors be more about color, depth, texture, accidental movement, etc. but NOT about form. Part of what I really love about traditional watercolors is the balance it can walk between detailed representation and messy expression-heavy "play". I may try it to see what I think and post the results. I did try painting a few representational watercolor subjects without doing any sketching first (the leaf with water droplets paintings that I posted in the critique forum recently), but I felt them unsuccessful. I think, partly, it was because I was having to work to hard on making forms, and not on making color, water movement, and texture. I might try this different process as well, and see how that goes.

Love the effect you have here and the lovely gentle colours, well done
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    I was talking with my wife about these experiments I've been doing (I posted another one last month with a similar title), and we were also wondering what ways one might "apply" the methodology. It's not that I feel a need to make these things into something representational in order to enjoy them-- I really love the exploratory process of building something without really knowing what it is, but... BUT I also enjoy making paintings with subjects in them, and I feel like those painting could really benefit from some of this very loose watercolor feel. Last month, I posted a pic "I like to make big splashes too", which is very representational-- for a kid's book mockup-- and I thought it was successful. I don't need these drawings to be that way, but I think there might be value in mixing the two methods.

Part of me liked the idea of making some of these paintings and then sort of "carving" subject matter out of them post facto. Almost like I was making driftwood in these paintings, and then, perhaps later, I could take them and "find" the subject matter in them if I wanted to, changing and molding the painting a bit to draw those things out.

I also thought it might help if I brought in a sketch into artrage and then let that subject matter guide me a bit, as an experiment. Basically, to let the watercolors be more about color, depth, texture, accidental movement, etc. but NOT about form. Part of what I really love about traditional watercolors is the balance it can walk between detailed representation and messy expression-heavy "play". I may try it to see what I think and post the results. I did try painting a few representational watercolor subjects without doing any sketching first (the leaf with water droplets paintings that I posted in the critique forum recently), but I felt them unsuccessful. I think, partly, it was because I was having to work to hard on making forms, and not on making color, water movement, and texture. I might try this different process as well, and see how that goes.

That's great. Very articulate comment. Reminds me of one of the cooler things that working watercolor wet into wet can have happen, where one waits for the painting to speak what it is (if it's subjective) or isn't and wants more or less attention. I consider that a dialog and it's a great thing to participate in as a collaborator of sorts. In that way this program delivers an opportunity for that only using a slightly different process. But the essential dance is similar.

Can't wait to see more.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream