ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Upgrading my tablet

Upgrading my tablet

I am looking into upgrading my tablet. I'm looking at either a intuos 4 or 12 inch cintiq. For those of you that have these, I was wanting your opinions on them. I do not do digital art for a profession and was wondering if the cintiq is worth the cost($900) for a non-professional. Thank you, Greg
    You can see more of my work at http://krasched.deviantart.com/.
    IMAGINATION IS EVERYTHING-Einstein
    See you space cowboy..........

Hiya Greg,
    I have the larger cintiq 21UX at home and use the intuos 4 at work. I also have the intuos 3 at home.

All of these devices are lovely to work on, but having said that each has tiny flaws as well.

The cintiq runs really hot, in summer you'll want to be working in an air-conditioned space. I imagine the smaller unit doesn't throw out near as much heat but its still probably enough to make your hand 'grippy' on the surface at times.

You'll want to invest in a smudgeguard to stop your hand gripping the surface and to protect against dirt and smudges on the surface (which the digitizer can catch on as you work). This is a great product for use with any tablet.

There is EM interference within around half a centimeter of the edge, which in practical terms means if you take a ruler and draw a straight line at the edges you'll see some slight wiggle in the line. Before ruling straight lines I just centre the area the line is to go, I find this more comfortable than working at the edges anyway, still its something to be aware of.

A quick search on the internet shows that many units have shipped with a dead (stays either R, G or B) pixel and many more have suffered from dust creep at the edges over time. Dustcreep wont be an issue if you clean it daily with something like 'screenclean' http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...25763(ME).aspx is the one I use.

I'm not saying any of this to put you off but rather so that you can be informed that its not perfect. Having said all that i'd like to point out that drawing on a screen is the most natural drawing/painting experience.

Personally I havent used my intuos 3 since getting the Cintiq, and enjoy the drawing on screen experience so much that i went and got the Asus ep121 tablet pc recently which is like having the smaller cintiq and a powerful labtop all in one mobile device.

The intuos 4 even with the surface redesign does chew through nibs fast, but these are cheap to replace. The speed ring may have compatability issues with some software. As you are already familiar with your hand being in one place to draw and your cursor located elsewhere on the monitor you wont suffer there and already know that this is a less natural way to work but certainly doable.

I cant tell you which is right for you. You'll have to weigh up the pros and cons and decide on value vs budget etc. I can tell you that you wont be disappointed with either choice.
    Last edited by Juz; 08-10-2011 at 05:23 PM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Juz, thank you very much for the info. I am just trying to gather as much information as I can before I make my decision. I greatly appreciate it.Thanks again, Greg
    You can see more of my work at http://krasched.deviantart.com/.
    IMAGINATION IS EVERYTHING-Einstein
    See you space cowboy..........

Most welcome Greg... let us know what you decide to go with
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)