ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: I Love The Script Recording Feature on iPad

I Love The Script Recording Feature on iPad

You guys ROCK!

Thank you so much for this feature. I can finally use ArtRage on the iPad for some serious Print Worthy work! I love the feature!

You have made me a very very happy artist!!

Keep up the great work!

-policarpo | visual designer

I didn't know the ipad version of artrage also had script recording. that is very sweet indeed.

It is cool, tried last night. Woo Hoo, good work rage guys.
    Susan Murtaugh satisfied user (ArtRage)
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzi54241/

Scripting

Hi Guys,

I know most of you, and I am aware that many of you are Pros.

I am not, so tell me why this is such a great feature.

How does it make things "Print worthy"?

In a small way, I find I'm being nudged back into painting saleable stuff, so if I'm missing out on something that would make it easier it would be nice to know.

Phil
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.

When you take the script from the iPad and run it in the full version, you have the option of running the script at a higher resolution. If you did this without the script, it would come out blurry. I am not exactly sure why, but it renders the image blurry if you try to enlarge it.

The iPad maxes out at 1440x1440, but the full version you can enter in a different resolution. For example, my monitor has recommended resolution of 1920 x 1200.

There's a horribly technical reason that images get blurry when you upscale them, and don't when you play the script at a higher resolution...

Resizing:

Images on a computer are made up of Pixels, so their size is absolutely limited by how many dots there are across and down. If you resize the image to make it larger, the application that does the resize only has those pixels to work with. So let's say you have 1400 pixels across and you want your image to become 1900 across: The resize has to split those 1400 pixels apart to make them fit in the 1900 space, but what goes between them?

The app has to take a guess as to what goes between the pixels, and in so doing the result tends to blur slightly, because the guess can only be based on what was originally next to the pixels that are being split. The space is filled in with an approximation of what might have been between the individual pixels based on their color. The further apart they split, the more the blur.

Upscaling a Script:

Playing back a script is different. The script records the process of the strokes that made up the painting, rather than the pixels. When you play a script back, the application paints every stroke you originally painted with a full size tool. If you scale up the size, the tools it uses scale up as well.

So if I paint on a 1400 image with a 50% size oil brush, then play it back at 2800, the app re-paints the stroke with a 100% size oil brush exactly as if you had manually painted it at that size in the first place. This means the app never has to guess at what goes in the blank spaces, it's painting every pixel.

It's like a Sketchagraph (took us a while to remember that name!) - It mimics the motion of your hand (scaling the motion up, not the pixels) and recreates the image at perfect resolution.

It's a bit of an esoteric concept but I hope that helps explain it. There's a brief explanation of it in the 3.5 manual as well in the scripting section.

Glad to hear that everyone's liking the feature!
    Matt
    ArtRage UI
    Ambient Design.

Quote Originally Posted by Aged P View Post
    Hi Guys,

I know most of you, and I am aware that many of you are Pros.

I am not, so tell me why this is such a great feature.

How does it make things "Print worthy"?

In a small way, I find I'm being nudged back into painting saleable stuff, so if I'm missing out on something that would make it easier it would be nice to know.

Phil
    Phil, it's about communication more than it is art. It is very handy for tutorials and for showing people how you achieved effects or how you draw and paint. Instead of a long tutorial you read it is a way to instantly show what you did. Add some voice in a movie editor and you have a video tutorial. That is what it is all about. Just a great way to communicate. If you've seen Someonesane's or Judith's tutorials on youtube that is what we are talking about. A way to share techniques, tips and tricks and information about how you paint in artrage.

I absolutely love this feature.

I've completed only two full images on my iPad2 (max resolution 2048x2048), but using the script recorder I was able to render them at a much higher resolution, and have printed them both to canvas with incredible results.

Being able to watch back my painting is a cool novelty, but being able to share that with other people is a fantastic training tool.

In an ideal world we could watch the script play back on the iPad itself; and be able to export high quality videos of the script without the need for screen-recording software on PC. Not a complaint, just part of the wish list .

ArtRage is head and shoulders above any other art app on the iPad.

Only on ArtRage can you get a proper answer to anything

Thank you people, a crystal clear explanation within a day. I had sort of thought of Clawshrimp's use, I could see it would be a fantastic teaching tool.
    But some of you were drooling, while not mentioning that feature.

So it's a "program control" application, as used in Engineering. Record all the movements a little machine, with rudimentary raw materials, makes, then transfer that straight to a big one supplied with top grade stuff. So not just bigger, but better.

Simply brilliant!

Exactly what I was looking for.

{Now I just need an iPad version which can access Dropbox, }

I do hope Ambient are making some serious money out of all this.

Phil
    Luck is infatuated with the efficient.