ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the greatest idea you've heard in weeks.

the greatest idea you've heard in weeks.

you know how when you create a preset and the little floating palette grabs a shot of the canvas to use as an icon for the preset? isn't that a wonderful thing. I mean really it is.

now here is the deal... when you record a script at the end you are prompted for a 400 x 80 splash screen to use for the script. all of a sudden you realize you don't have one.

now wouldn't it be nice if the same feature would come into play for the script info panel and a click on the image button and a little window comes up with a predesignated size of 400 x 80 and you can move it around your painting you just finished recording and snap.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 08-16-2011 at 11:34 AM.

Something like that would be useful.

Currently, since the recording process is saved with the painting if it's not stopped, I just save the painting and cancel out the recording. I then create a banner from whatever area of my canvas I'd like to use (I created a stencil with the dimensions of a banner, that I use like a viewfinder), and export the image for the banner. I then reopen the last saved instance of the painting, and save the recording, which should still be actively running.
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

wow, that is quite an ordeal to go through after recording your painting.

currently I think I just pause the recording. grab a rectangular selection
    and select an area of the painting. I am pretty spot on with the size guess.

I copy the selected area. open up xnview. edit>import clipboard and then resize and crop and save the jpg.

back to the recording and finish the recording where I will be asked to load the preview image so I locate it and all is good.

pretty much the same animal being skinned.

I still like the new idea... it would just be so much more convenient.

That's a pretty neat idea, somewhat similar to the custom colour picker / tool preset image ability to sample an area from the canvas. I've added a note to our list to take a look at it. Well advertised!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thumbs up

Awesome idea

Could you also consider implementation in the 'Create Package' dialog?
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Quote Originally Posted by screenpainter View Post
    currently I think I just pause the recording. grab a rectangular selection
    and select an area of the painting.
    I've done the pause trick, as well. I think I even used it in my tutorial for creating and playing scripts. I started saving instead, because I figured, since I end up saving the paintings in the end anyhow, I might as well just go ahead and do it. Using a stenicil is just my prefered way of spotting an area I want to use. I can, and have, skipped it and gone directly to changing the canvas to the banner size, then just moving the image preview around, until I was happy.

Easiest thing I've done, was hit my print screen key, then dropped and cropped in MS Paint.

Sos, can you add an image later to a saved script? or does that script just not get an image?

Juz,

yes, may as well implement it for packages as well. good idea.

Thanks Dave. yes, exactly like the palette picker. thanks for adding to the list. It will sure help the workflow.

Quote Originally Posted by Juz View Post
    Awesome idea

Could you also consider implementation in the 'Create Package' dialog?

Sorry Juz, missed your post. You must've posted while I while I was typing my post (I posted from my iPad, which I'm slow on typing with).

Anyway, yes, an image may be added after the fact. It's an easy, but convoluted, method. That may sound contradictory, but you'll see what I mean. What you'll basically need to do, is create two scripts (well one, since you probably already have the one you want to add a preview to). In the second script, you're only going to start the recording, and end it. This is so you can save the preview picture to it. You'd then open up both scripts in a text editor, and move (or swap) the preview picture binary code from the second script, into the script that was missing the preview. I'll see about putting a tutorial together for it, or a step by step with pictures, in a little bit.

Just an update post for Juz. Wanted to let you know that I posted a tutorial on how to take the preview image (and other data) from one script and add it to one that is missing the information. You'll find the tutorial here: Tutorial: Swapping AR Script Preview Images

It's a written tutorial, rather then a video, because I felt it'd be easier to follow the code swapping part this way.

(EDIT) - Hold the phone... I may have completely misread your post, because you obviously haven't edited it. Apparently the drugs I've been on (illness related) have been having more of an affect on me then I previously thought. Well then... For anyone who may actually be interested in this, I'll the leave the very long, but apparently not yet needed, tutorial up, lol.

(EDIT 2) - Ah... Apparently it was Screenpainter who asked for this...
    Last edited by Someonesane; 08-19-2011 at 06:19 AM.

splash grabber variation from archetypes

okay here is a sample frame for it to get the ball rolling.

Andy's motto:

"how hard can it be?"
    Attached Images Attached Images