ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: allowing artrage 3.5.1 to make changes

allowing artrage 3.5.1 to make changes

for some reason I get that splash screen every time I try to run 3.5.1 that asks if I want to allow artrage to make changes to the computer. it didn't do this in 3.5 as I remember. at least the previous time I downloaded 3.5 it didn't. my screen goes black and then I get the splash screen. how do I circumvent this and just get artrage to open when I click on the app or a shortcut?
    I don't remember doing anything different during installation than I normally do.

windows 7
    dual core 1.8 ghz.
    Last edited by screenpainter; 08-08-2011 at 10:22 AM.

The app itself doesn't need to make any changes to your system when it starts, the only time it makes a change is when you enter the serial number, but it won't need to ask for that if you've previously entered it.

I'd recommend uninstalling ArtRage, then restarting our system and reinstalling the app first to make sure that there was no problem with the install. It may also be worthwhile doing a virus scan just in case to make sure that something hasn't attached itself to the executable.

If that still doesn't help, it could be a permissions problem. Try launching the app by right clicking on its shortcut and choosing 'Run as administrator' to see whether that makes a difference.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thanks Dave, I will try that.

Are you on a Windows or Mac computer? If on a Windows system try launching AR as administrator and see if the message goes away....

I sometimes get something similar when I launch E-on software's Vue Complete 9. Running as admin is my work around for Vue. But I've never had it happen with ArtRage...

Cheers

on a pc. if I uninstall artrage it won't wipe out my resources folder will it? I don't want to lose any recent stickers or presets.

I have lots of programs that ask permission to run, but I swear I used to open artrage with one click and not have to grant permission for it to run.

this may all be due to the fact that I used to run it from my documents folder
    and still can without the intermediary step. but launching from computer> hp>program files>ambient design> artrage studio pro does give me the intermediary splash screen.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by screenpainter; 08-09-2011 at 11:30 AM.

Uninstalling ArtRage won't remove your resources folder with any new resources you've added to ArtRage. All user resources are stored outside of Artrage's folder by default, in the Application Data folder on Windows.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

ah good thanks Dave.

okay, got it.
    for some reason had the little box that says run this program as an administrator was checked.

unchecked it and back to the good old days.

if it should ever happen to anyone else out there.
    here is the fix.

go to program files> ambient design> artrage studio pro
    right click on the app and from the menu pick > properties
    then select the compatibility tab
    and deselect the run this program as an administrator
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks for the update. That option is not enabled by default, so people normally shouldn't need to do that. It does make me wonder though...

There are a couple of situations I'd enable that option for troubleshooting ( If Artrage is unable to register its serial number for example ), so it's quite possible I caused that at some point! Glad to hear it's all working as intended now.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

actually the best solution is the one you gave.

which is

1. uninstall artrage.
    2. restart your computer.
    3. download artrage and save the install file
    4. open the artrage installer with a right click to
    install artrage as an administrator.

unfortunately I did not restart my computer the last time and that
    made all the difference when I did it today.

it installed perfectly. all my icons showed up for old files.
    I just should have listened to you in the first place. and follow directions. duh.