ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Asus ep121 - Built in rotation

Asus ep121 - Built in rotation

When i use the Asus Hardware Button to change the orientation of the desktop from landscape to portrait, and then boot Artrage I get all kinds of crazy with the pen tracking. Usually its making marks either 4 inches above or 4 inches below where the stylus is located. Touch tracking works normally however.

Programs that use the Windows API for the gui such as sketchbook I'm experiencing no problems with. I can change orientation using the Asus button on the fly and the tracking works perfectly.

If I reboot the machine in portrait mode, then calibrate then boot artrage it seems to work again properly.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Juz; 08-07-2011 at 09:12 PM.
    "I paint because I love to cut mats" (Arthur Alexander)

Unfortunately the EP121 unit we were provided with is a prototype, so may be a little different than the release version. Could you let me know where on your slate you see the hardware rotate button? We can check to make sure we have access to a similar function here.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

This is asus problem, not ArtRage... and I think that was solved on a tabletpcreview.com forum, check this forum. Lots of great stuffs ;]

Ahh that's good to know. Thanks for the feedback Kurt! If anyone can point me to the location on the bezel of the rotation button that could still be handy, we have the rotation lock button on our prototype but I'd like to verify that we also have the hardware rotate button.

On other thing which could be useful: Check that 'precise tablet' is unchecked in Edit -> Preferences -> Input. Some drivers don't support this feature and a common indication of this is that the stroke gets offset from the stylus.
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Sorry Dave that's my terrible description of the button ... yes the 'rotation lock' button is the one i'm referring to.

I need to test more but it may have something to do with having to lock the rotation and not leave it in free rotate mode. But it is working perfectly in Sketchbook with rotation left unlocked, I can just turn the tablet as I work and SKB tracks the stylus perfectly.

@Kurt, thanks, I'm curious if its an Asus problem as to why its not affecting applications that use the windows GUI, and also why the stylus is affected and touch is not. You wouldn't be able to point me to the relevant thread would you ?
    Last edited by Juz; 08-08-2011 at 02:43 PM.

Thanks Juz. So, if you start up the tablet in landscape mode, then rotate the tablet to portrait mode which updates the screen, then launch ArtRage, your strokes are displaced, is that right?

Also, does it make any difference if ArtRage is open before you rotate?

One other thing which would be handy to know: What are your current settings in Edit -> Preferences -> Input, and does turning off precise tablet mode help at all?
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Thumbs up

Genius Dave, thanks!! Turning off precise tablet seems to have done the trick, I can now leave the hardware lock off and free rotate as I work with the stylus tracking perfectly.

Just went back to the manual to look up precise tablet...

Precise Tablet (Windows Only):
    Some graphics tablets support a high resolution input mode that creates more precise strokes. Unfortunately some graphics tablets do not support this but incorrectly report that they do, this can cause problems with strokes failing to complete or appearing incorrectly. If you are having problems with your paint strokes try changing this setting.

Do you know if this ep121 model supports 'Precise Tablet' for high rez strokes? Just wondering if I should be rotating the tablet with precise tablet off, then turning it back on to draw, or whether I should just leave it off.

Thanks again for your time
    Last edited by Juz; 08-08-2011 at 05:25 PM.

I'm not sure on that one, difficult to tell without knowing the internal workings of the driver. Sometimes drivers report things which they don't actually support, believe it or not! I'd recommend leaving it off as it's causing problems with the rotation. Thanks for letting us know!
    Dave
    Resident Bug-Hunter
    Ambient Design

Quote Originally Posted by DaveRage View Post
    Sometimes drivers report things which they don't actually support, believe it or not!
    ROF we wont name names

Thanks for solving this for me... I'm one happy camper