ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howl's Moving Castle

Howl's Moving Castle

shamelessly inspired by Hayao Miyazaki's brilliant animation.. you owe it to yourself to watch this atleast once.. a little slow to start but the story picks up and the animation quality is second to none.

see at: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0347149/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Howls Castle.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	222.3 KB 
ID:	58643  

Love it!!!!!!!!! Very striking.

As to Miyasaki, I really love his stories that deal with "magical" fantasy themes. The layouts and paintings are tremendous supports for his stories and may consistently be the best part of his work IMHO. The character designs are more hit and miss for me. But he produced some very fascinating stories with some astonishing animated sequences. I love his use of scale, especially in Nausicca and Laputa. Howl's was really satisfying to watch, I must say. You have good taste in animated art.

As to your painting, it's great! To me looking at it compared with Howl is like listening to a really personalized interpretation cover of a musical standard. You made it your own. It's like Blue Cheer playing Summertime Blues vs Eddie Cochran's earlier version. Not saying the musical differences parallel, but rather that you made it unmistakably your own. Same image, vastly different. And yours is more metal, than Miyasaki's. Trying not to curl your toes on this analogy cause I know you're a jazz guy. What I'm saying is that yours is purely an homage.

I love the composition. Very crisp and focused with compositional devices keeping it all moving, despite the minimal color changes. And that's just awesome in that it shows what one can do with shape and line and values and sort of knocked back color and yet in making it a very apt use of the word 'colorful'.

Bravo!
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Loaded with color...I like it !!!
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

D Akey... I should have known you would know and like Hayao Miyazaki and his works.... I really loved his rich and creative landscapes and story lines... my toes have uncurled. I think your music analogy is quite right.. this is more an homage than a literal copy or even partially a copy of his style.. I just wanted a huge careening shape ( part boat, part plane, will many mysterious shapes and bumps) moving across the landscape. I toned down the colors an only hinted at them, but thanks to your crit on Radio City Music I paid more attention to line , tone and values than normal .... thanks mate for the great comment..

Steve. glad you like the colors and image ... if you watch Howl's Moving Castle ( from Netflix) the shape will make more sense...

Wow that's great Gary.I love Miyazakis work and it's a wonderful interpretation you've done here.

I see it moving and creating new shapes, well done Gary
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

this is just wonderful ...
    I love Studio Ghibli's movies, and your moving castle looks great!

one question ... did you turn the canvas? whenever I look at your painting, I feel the need to turn it round (90 degrees clockwise) and it just looks as good as the version you posted

Belvrog,Sandy and Katie.... thanks for your kind comments and support...they are always appreciated !

MSIE... oops did I sign this on the wrong side ?.... actually when I am working on a piece I frequently rotate it and flip it horiz and vertically to make sure my tones, values etc read correctly.. if something is out of kilter I find it stands out if you flip your canvas around.. but this was the orientation I meant for this as it seems more ship like in this orientation with the bow on the right....and the movement being from left to right.

Gary, you are going to boggle my mindanother fantastic abstract