ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: value scale arc reference

value scale arc reference

Made a simple .png file I use in my paintings to help me match values. Basically it allows me to skip the step of having to alt-tap a value scale to see if a specific color is, say, a 6-value.

It's a small pain to set up exactly once you load it in via the reference tab, lots of moving and resizing and rotating and such, but once it's placed, it makes for a nice workflow(assuming you can ignore the frame around the reference)

In the words of Craig Mullins, ""Decide what is in light and what is in shadow and donít mix them up. Think like a comic artist. Two values, but if they are well thought out and designed and drawn they can look totally real. Think like that, but instead of making the light white and the shadow black, make the light a 7 and the shadow a 3. Then go ahead and use 5-10 in the light and 1-3 in the shadow to pull out sub forms. DO NOT use 1-5 in any part of the light, or use 5-10 in any areas of the dark. Keep you edges a little softer in the shadows, a little sharper in the light, you are done. (0 is black, 10 is white) Deciding what is in shadow and light for a particular object is pretty hard in words. I will leave that up to you and that is 99 percent of the struggle".

Name:  value_arc.png
Views: 840
Size:  6.4 KB

Also including a the value scale I used if anyone needs it:

Name:  value_scale.png
Views: 812
Size:  8.2 KB

Here's some examples of how I set it up, hope this helps.

Name:  value_arc_screen.png
Views: 804
Size:  180.8 KB

Name:  value_arc_screen02.png
Views: 796
Size:  183.4 KB

Name:  value_arc_screen03.png
Views: 798
Size:  183.7 KB

Great Idea! Thanks!

Yes, interesting idea.

It might be helpful to set the value chart inside the Color Picker itself, which would save you the time of having to arrange the reference image each time? Something like this, perhaps:

Name:  valuearcpicker.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  15.6 KB
    Nothing is easy to the unwilling.

mn3monic great sugestion. SOS, nice thank you.

I like the notion of having the value arc in the color picker much better than as a reference, but have no idea how to set it up like yours. I've been screwing around with the custom picker options but it seems when I use those, I loose the tiny dot on the picker that shows which hue/saturation level you are at. Would love to know how you set yours up.

many thanks!

Am I close?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	value_picker_screen.png 
Views:	129 
Size:	134.3 KB 
ID:	58645

Lightbulb

hy mn3monic, wow great idea!
    I'm using your value scale arc reference as you were describing in your first post -

Quote Originally Posted by mn3monic View Post
    It's a small pain to set up exactly once you load it in via the reference tab, lots of moving and resizing and rotating and such, but once it's placed, it makes for a nice workflow(assuming you can ignore the frame around the reference
    it's not *that* hard to set up - I just load the reference file, right click --> "set to normal size and rotation" --> move it over my colour picker --> resize it (because my colour picker is smaller than the default one) and start painting .
    only thing that bothers me is the fact that the reference image is changing its position depending on whether I run ArtRage in full screen mode or window mode.

attached two screenshots - the second one is full screen mode, see how the reference image changed its place although all other panels and stuff do not move when in full screen mode.

Name:	value scale arc reference.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	344.9 KB 
ID:	58650

full screen mode:

Name:	value scale arc reference fullscreen.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	333.6 KB 
ID:	58651

P.S. thanks for the Craig Mullins quote, I'm just a hobbyist wannabe painter trying to "get things right" , and his explanation of how to use colour value with light and shadow has cleared things up for me!

made an value arc for anyone who wants to place it in the color picker via the custom color picker option. Still can't figure out how to get the HS dot to appear(might not be able to with a custom picker, not sure), but a small price to pay for getting rid of that reference border.

Name:  value_arc_picker_02.png
Views: 702
Size:  26.4 KB

Glad the Mullins is helping! I made a couple jpegs of my favorite Mullins quotes that I pin up in my artrage paintings via reference. I'll post them if anyone want to use them as reminders. Can't tell you how many times I forget these concepts.

Name:	mullins_wisdom.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	256.4 KB 
ID:	58654

Name:	mullins_wisdom_02.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	195.5 KB 
ID:	58655