ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoke Break

Smoke Break

I've included the original photo I took at a local car show July 2007... Using Painter IX.5 I cloned painted the old Chevy truck and it's owner as well as the pavement...

I then brought the image into ArtRage 3.51 and added the tree (my stencil), sky, bird (my stencil), clouds, and the grass & flowers (ArtRage stickers)...

Cheers

Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo Truck and Smoking man.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	191.8 KB 
ID:	58567   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HRA_72 {Smoke Break}-revised=KRM small.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	200.1 KB 
ID:	58568  

This is very cool !!!
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

This is spectacular for sure! Not a pedantic copy, but a most credible image!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Very nicely done Ken!
    My Gallery:

http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/2939
    Deviant Art Gallery:

Super job Ken, very well done

kenmo...I like this not only because it is a cool image but also for the creative use of Painter combined with AR...

Fantastic work I like it a lot
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/

some another smoke 'break'

Hi kenmo,

The scene was definitely worth the effort to be painted. It's shows interesting matter, and an pretty obvious issue with the cigarette's smoke. To be honest, I never saw any good photo reference for this subject. Saying this, I'd like to share my findings on painting cigarette's smoke. Physically its slightly different kind of smoke than i.e one from campfire or when something else is burning.
    This relatively small heat source does quite considerable amount of fume. If your painting an indoor scene, you will notice that smoke tends to flow laminar and build smoke rings and many similar round forms. It's because the very small heat source produces thin flow through the cloud. Another thing is in outdoor scenes. Usually the smallest wind blows the whole fume fast away before you will be able even to take a shot of it. This is shown in your reference image. In this case it's usually nothing wrong, if you refrain from painting cigarette's s smoke entirely.

If I paint such thing anyway, I use smudging tool and a bit of bleach with highlight blended layer and airbrush. Here is a small crop from an unfinished painting of me since I wouldn't like to hijack your thread.

Name:  smoke.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  42.3 KB

Ken, wow, a most terrific and amazing image. Thank you.