ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Basic Tutorial

Basic Tutorial

When I was upgrading ARP to version 3.5, I saw a "general" tutorial that covered a lot of different topics. Unfortunately, since I was in the process of the upgrade, I did not download it. Now I cannot find it.

I purchased ARP because I would like to draw but I am a novice to say the least. I have always wanted to learn to draw but never got around to it. I have a Nintendo and purchased a piece of software called Art Academy. I was wonderful in walking you throug a lot of basics and I enjoyed it a low. It rekindled my interest in drawing. That software prompted me to buy ARP which in turn prompted me to purchase a Bamboo tablet. So now I seem to have the tools but need some help or encouragement.

I will admit that I have completd one project which started out as a tracing. I was building a DVD for a highschool class reunion. I needed to covert a gray image of the school mascot from the front an annual from 1960 to a colored image. So I used the trace feature to create a color version of the mascot. It actuall turned out pretty good.

I have also recreated some of the work from the Nintendo using ARP and the Bamboo. Now I would like to branch out but I sometimes find the program a little awkward to use (for me). Yes, I am probably too critical of my own work but I feel the first step is to master the tool (ARP) so that I am struggling with my artistic capabilities without also struggling with the tool.

Yes, I have looked at all of the tutorials on the ArtRage web site. I find some of them fairly complicated to follow and some are basic enough that I got something out of them.

If I am way of base or you have some suggestions to help me get more comfortable with the product, just let me know.

Greetings!

I used tutorials that senior members have posted on you-tube. Judith Tremayne has a series. If there was a specific tutorial that you wish you had downloaded, I think that searching You-Tube for "ArtRage Lesson" will find you something equivalent to the one you didn't save. A You-Tube search will show you the list of all of Judith Tramayne's basic tutorials starting with Menu Bar. However, there are also many more by many different Ragers and you could stay in You-Tube all day.

What I like with ArtRage is that I could do some basic painting right from the start-- you know, just brush strokes of color, even-- so that I had something specific I could look for in the instructions. (I can't learn by reading instructions, then practicing. I have to practice, then read instructions. This isn't even as easy as it sounds.)

However, it sounds like you are already enjoying success. That's the thing to do, I think; is just play with it and enjoy it and go to the manual or use a you-tube search whenever you get stuck or feel ready to kick it up a notch.

You mention that you are a novice. So am I! Have a good time and post your pictures. I will, too; if I ever make a picture.

Best wishes, Sue Ellen.

Oops.

"Have a good time and post your pictures. I will, too; if I ever make a picture."

I called them "pictures"! No wonder I've had problems. I'm trying to make pictures. Let's not. Let's make art.

Techniques

I see many good things on the forums but have trouble figuring out the "how to" that is what I loved about the Art Academy tutorials on the Nintendo. They were very methodical in helping you to understand the "how to".

Yes, I have seen several of Judith's tutorials and the are very good on showing you the various features of the software. I am trying to learn how to "put it all together" to achieve something :-)

I am not a painter and have never had any kind of art instruction which is I guess what I are looking for. All of my "art work" in the past has been using vector graphic tools to develop things like the DVD, web pages, flow charts, and business presentations. I am trying to step out of the window and go a little more to the "artist" side and am struggling.

One of the things I miss (although limiting in concept) are the vector shapes, gradient fills and combining objects that the vector tools have. In ARP you are "on your own for many of those functions. I am OK with that but in a lot of case do not see how to accomplish the same things and in many of the tutorials they seem to assume a fair amount of artistic capabilities that I have not yet developed (notice that I am assuming that I will get there if I can get the right start).

At this point I woud be embarrased to put any of my "art work" in the site because it would look too primitative.

If this thread should be in another forum, someone advise me where to go (careful :-) ).

OK - I bit the bullet and have added a couple of images under the Critique forum as a starting point. I will abandon this thread.

I do appreciate the one reply I got and will let people show me the error of my ways over there.

The name of my thread under the Critique forum is Absolute Beginner.

Thumbs up I have what you need and seek

Have you downloaded the Basic Tutorials book?

The Art Supplies Book?

or the monthly Magazine?

All can be downloaded here "FREE":

LINK UPDATED 8/13/2011
    http://www.artrageus.net
    Last edited by Bobbyray; 08-14-2011 at 02:11 AM.

I get a "Page Not Found" for that link Bobby.

Exclamation

Hi Hildee

That's weird.. that is our website address. copy and paste it in your browser and that should work for you. I do not know why this link will not work directly but hey welcome to the wonderful world of internet.

http://www.artrageus.net