ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Sleeping beauty

Sleeping beauty

Someone always gets up early...

This is a drrawing I made for the "fairytales with a twist" challenge at CGhub

Comments and feedback are welcome!

Regards,

Arjen
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sleep 7.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	246.8 KB 
ID:	58446  

I think it's a splendid work....love your choice of colors and the humour really adds to the piece....

Arjen... a fantastic illustration with a wry twist.... very excellent work here.

Fantastic work Arjen! Love it!
    My real name is Neal Gilbertson, AKA Gilbert Neilson, AKA Jibes.
    I'm a musician too. Please come hear my music at:
    http://www.icompositions.com/artists/jibes

What a nicely colorful and luminous room populated in such a funny way! I would have expected much more dust considering the story and certainly beauty is rather in the eye of the obsever here than objectively present ...
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

many thanks

As always, I am very pleased with the feedback wich I'm getting from al you people here at artrage...

THX again!!

Arjen

Great work, I recall seeing this in the work in progress. (if memory serves...and sometimes it does not!)

I think the colors are what really add to your work. I like the details of the walls and the ivy as well.

I think the details are wonderful and the cartoon style is excellent. Wildly entertaining. Great idea based on the starting premise challenge.

What I would recommend, since you asked, is that you seek to control your colors in a way that is not ambient, where everything is lit equally. In this image, the browns of the relatively unimportant floors are keeping me from enjoying easily all the fine work you have done. It's competing with the action.

Forgive me for voicing these comments as they are based on my personal preferences. Some people no doubt would be very pleased with what you have done.

But just to hear me out, you can handle it several different ways:

1) You can stage it differently in which there is more of a focus on a part or parts where the figures are acting something out.

2) You can use lighting where elements are given more light and in other places less light.

3) You can control your colors a little more.

This is all just fine and commercial and all that. It's a praiseworthy job. Lots of good work went into this.

I don't know if there will be type in it, or how it fits in with the overall design of the graphic novel or show or what it's for. If there's to be text involved, or would the camera zoom in for close ups of the various vignettes?

That all would make a big difference in what I said because that would definitely alter the image and some of the questions I see would not exist.

Good drawing and very cool imagination you have. You have the ability to pull things out of your head and put them onto the paper in a rather epic way. Well done.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Feedback

Hi All,

megansparks, you are right!
    Showed this illustration in the WIP section earlier!

D Akey:
    Your feedback is highly appreciated!
    I do realise that the lightning isn't what it is supposed to be...I started with a shadowlayer before adding the colors, but in the end tried to hide the lack of sfere with a second shadowlayer.....
    I saved the illustration as a PSD file and tweaked the individual layers in photoshop.....there i noticed that the colorhandling is very different......Have to consider that the next time...colors look very bright in photoshop, and very flat when imported in ArtRage again...

There are 3 windows, I wanted the light to come from the window in the middle, and the second light source from the right side...the small window outside the door...Didn't work out that well...
    Absolutely dislike the rosebushes and roses...Have to practice some more on creating my own stickers and sprays... :-)

Oh.... the overall intention of the idea was that it would be timebased around the late afternoon.....If the Knight would start early in the morning, then by the late afternoon he would have reached the tower where the princes would be asleep....and therefore would look like a sweaty,heavy breathing prince with a raised sword and torn clothes......

Maybe I tried to implement to much ideas in one single drawing....but definately I'm not near any professional standard as I would like to be!

How the illustration is used isn't determined yet: Still have a lot of drawings to do, and the stories have to be refined to fit the children around the age 8-12..... But this is an Issue I have to discuss the people from the artdepartment at the publishers..

THX again, much food for thought, and hopefully you see your feedback worked out in the next illustration!

Yours

Arjen vriezekolk

Love the twisted take on the fairy tale
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/