ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radio City Music

Radio City Music

this image is meant to evoke the warm tones of 40's big band jazz I used to listen to over the radio... before TV!.... hope you enjoy this one..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Radio City Music.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	302.3 KB 
ID:	58398  

Yeah, I like it!!!!!! Also love the concept. I think the one thing I would say, were I doing it, (and that means nothing because it's coming through you, but just for the kibitz factor), I would deal with more light. I think of jazz era, big band stuff as being about night clubs and movies that are all lit up and sort of sparkly. . . even spot lighted. And when I think of the old tube radios, I recall one of the features for me as a young lad was looking at the amber lights of the tubes, both hitting the wall behind the radio console, as well as sometimes leaking through the woven fabric through which the speaker played on the front. And of course, I have to cop to the fact that I use strategic lighting as one of my primary compositional devices.

Now, one needn't always have a focal point, clearly. But it's my observation in this case that it could do with some more contrast.

Other than that, the whole idea and shapes you are doing are spot on. Feels like a marquee (albeit dimmed where everything lives in about a 30% value bandwidth), and the deco quality to the shapes sorta nails it. I am getting horn bells (brass and woodwind sections seem to really represent that style, don't they?) Plus, the sort of cubistic approach makes it feel jazzy, as opposed to straight. So it's working. And a very nice piece it is. I love the saturation levels.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

I like this one very much, it makes me feel like I am in a Jazz Club and my feet are tapping away
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307

Right off the bat, this is the one that caught my eye in the gallery Gary. It works for me, I love it.

alexandra, kenmo, and katie so glad you like this excursion into a jazzy art deco cubist style. some works just seem to roll out others are a struggle where its creation is more a battle than not... but this one was fun and came directly... maybe because of the music I was listening to....

Mr D Akey... thanks for viewing I went back and tried a variety of changes to add more sparkle and light and a more obvious focal point.. thanks for the kibitz... all good points I will keep in mind during my next effort... the principles may have slipped a bit in this one.

Gary, another fine piece of eclectic symbolism stitched together with color and form to depict your theme. The symbols hint of a object related to the theme, and the objects together yields a fresh sensation of knowing, of perception. Stepping into the painting you dwell becoming more and more aware of the whole from the sum of it's parts. What school of art or artist most influences you? Or are you on your own?
    P.D. Dinkles
    El Jefe Bombero (jubilado)

Wonderful work GX
    Treat Others as you wish to be treated

http://mannafig.deviantart.com/

yes. beautiful I'm listening ....

MSIE and Amanda thanks for checking in and your nice comments on this one.

PD... I would be hard pressed to say which artists are my principle inspirations as I an an avid student of painting in general, but I think that Miro, Klee and Kandinsky certainly were formative influences in liberating content and color for me. more recently Hans Hoffman and David Hockney. And for the digital realm it would have to be Bert Monroy and his lessons on how to use digital tools to create effects and objects... where Bert Monroy creates hyper realistic images I use some of his techniques in a abstract synthesis. And the creative ideas come from music of John Coltrane, Miles Davis, old jazz, and Diana Krall..