ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Thread: Inspiration and Application

Red face Inspiration and Application

I was thinking this morning as I was viewing the latest submissions just how much I've learned since I have been a member of this forum.

Is there anyone here that would like to share his or her influences with artists here?

For me:

Mairz ,D Akey, Cesare, and Robert (who doesn't have a lot of time for the forum right now and is going through difficult health issues-we miss you). Encouraging and constructive criticism, often poetic or comedic, these lovely people not only have a talent in painting, but paint the most beautiful paintings with their commentaries.

Techniques that I use most:
    Cesare-watercolor and glazing
    SCP- depth, smoothing, use of canvas and knife
    Peter Pinckney-experimentation with effects, textures, designs.

A big thank you to you and many many more here that have taught me so much and have given me the joy of art. The list is long.....

you are absolutely right, this is a great place here! i am not a member of any other forum so i thought its like this always, that people are so nice. shortly i understood that its not truth and that this place is unique! Thank you all great artists here with a passion and big heart!!!!

Most of the time, my influences and inspiration are whatever flies by me on the wind. My feelings, things going on around me, my family are also points of interest that give me these things. (My husband being my biggest fan. My parents a close second, whom always gave me positive encouragement.)

I have learned much from you and all the others, though. Little tips and hints and new ways to use the tools everyday. Also, I have also learned much by way of the AR magazine and the little history article I have been writing for it. Each month I learn a little more and that can all be very inspirational.

My high school art teacher, Cindy Hixon, was a very large influence on my artistic career. She is the woman I have quoted in my signature. I learned a lot from her and I will never forget that saying. I have made it my mantra. She went above and beyond the call of teacher-ly duty to toss all sorts of things toward me to experience artistically. Some of which came out of her own pocket.

without all of these things, I am certain I would not be the person I am today.

Hmmmm...interesting topic Sandy. I would have to say that my wife believes I have much more talent than I actually possess...haha !!! Also there are friends on facebook who seem to like my artwork. I have learned a lot since being a member of this forum, as the people are extraordinarily friendly and helpful. And I am most appreciatative. There are many artists' here whose works I admire and am in awe of their talent. It is a real pleasure for me to be part of this community !!!
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

5. Thumbs up

This forum (and many unnamed others) are great places to learn and improve. I think also a real good stack of books and tutorial DVDs help but if you are short of cash, there are quite a few digital artists, like Bobby Chiu and Feng Zhu, who post regular digital painting lessons on their youtube channels.

I think it is always important to keep practicing and developing ideas and techniques and is something I should push myself more to do.

I find inspiration from anywhere really. I have a few artists whom I really admire and for a long time, painted in their style but in the last few years I pulled away from them and am a little more original now. I still love their work.

When I want to get inspired to paint something, I dive into old sketch books and note books and look for undeveloped ideas or short stories that I can draw from. I am slowly building up a nice collection of art and reference books and have been thumbing through them recently (not to deviate too much but I wrote on my blog about how I've been finding inspiration in my books - link).

Also, I swing by art websites I am a part of and sit on twitter and look at artists I follow for new pieces.

Thanks everybody for your comments. My family is a big part of my inspiration too.
    I hope that by next year to climb over my hurdle of perspective, light, and shadow and delve more into the rich textured oils as our Coops does so well. Her pieces are so moving to me. So much to learn!

I'm a new member, only a week old, but I have been using ArtRage (1.1 free online as a download many years ago) for a long time now. It's been such a great companion and now I've bought Pro it's mind-blowing. I'm really enjoying it here and now I'll learn heaps more. What I have enjoyed is the few presets I've downloaded so far that people have so generously created. Thank you for the inspiration!

Thanks Alexandra! Nice to meet you.