ArtRage 5 Product PageArtRage Lite Product PageArtRage for iOS Product PageArtRage for Android Product PageArtRage  Android Oil Painter Free Product PageArtRage  Free Demos Page

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copy of a portrait by Lucian Freud

Copy of a portrait by Lucian Freud

Since he died few days ago, I quickly copied one of his self-portraits in three-four hours. didn't get mad with any trick, just tried to use it as a reference. Apart from a less sleak face I also got likeness too I think.
    I hope You may like this too. Same approach as the recent ones, but I made it more complex. I started with a fixed set of samples.
    Look from some distance, it's better I guess.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lucien Freud Portrait.jpg 
Views:	860 
Size:	297.7 KB 
ID:	58298  
    Last edited by Caesar; 07-28-2011 at 08:53 PM.
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Caesar, was not familiar with this artist so I checked out his site, and you did a fantastic job of his copy, I think that would have been very difficult to do his portrait but you really succeeded in doing so, great job

Nice one. I especially like the body. The forms read very well. The head isn't bad either. But the shoulders and all that work for me a little better. It looks a little more commandingly painted. Cool.
    "Not a bit is wasted and the best is yet to come. . ." -- remembered from a dream

Thank ou, dear Pat! It was difficult, but absolutely interesting and I would like to get more of his lessons in the future. Apart from Freud's realistic expressionism, which is not fully in my chords (it's a rather north European mood to express dramatic effects), I really admire his technically perfection and the capability to describe with few and appropriate thick brushstrokes any reality, in all its weight.

Your right, dear D Akey. Unfortunately I started with the wrong limited palette I imagined and which wasn't that good, especially to describe the darkest tones transitions, but I didn't want to elude this further challenge anyway. Maybe next time I'll take back my free, intuitive color picking and I'll try to add even more thick paint texture adding also some chalk ... Thank You!
    Panta rei (everything flows)!

Excellent !!! You are very talented my friend...
    Try to see as many angles of vision as possible...no single one of us has a "handle" on the whole picture.

Excellent work Caesar, I just love how you have the skill to use colour so well to bring out the contours of your subject.
    Geoff

Caesar... excellent copy of the this... really well done..

This is an excellent portrait Cesare and great work from you
    Sometimes...I remember better with my eyes closed

My Gallery
    http://members.artrage.com/vb_users/6307